When you talk about downloading a torrent file, it is usually assumed that you want to download illegal copyrighted content from the Internet. This belief is so popular that many companies have simply blocked access to torrents from their internal networks.
The question is, how to download legal torrents from the office where the entire torrent network is blocked? Well, that’s where the Transmission web interface comes in.
If you don’t already know, Transmission‘s web interface is a torrent client that lets you download torrents to your computers. It has a feature that allows you to access the client installed on your computer from another computer on the Internet.
Simply put, you can install the application on your computer and then control it from your office computer. This way, you can download torrents even when you are away from your computer.
Why use Casting Web Interface
There are several reasons why you might want to use the Transmission web interface. One is mentioned above when your office doesn’t allow torrenting, but you still want to download them.
Other scripts might include the following:
- When you are on the go and want the file downloaded when you get home.
- You want to immediately cancel a torrent download if you find it contains a virus, but you are not on your computer.
- You ‘have received a message from your ISP that you have exceeded the data limit and will now be charged per MB / GB. You can cancel some torrent downloads.
Regardless of why you want to use it, it’s pretty easy to set up and use the Transmission web client.
Download and Configure Transmission Web Interface
By default, the web client is not enabled for transmission. This means that you will need to go into the settings menu and enable the setting so that your application can be accessed from anywhere on the internet.
The following procedure was performed on a Mac computer. The steps should be the same for other platforms.
- If you haven’t already, go to the Transmission website, download and install the application on your computer.
- Run app and you will get a prompt. Click “Open” to open the application anyway.
- Click the Transfer menu at the top and select the Settings option. From there, you’ll enable the web interface.
- When the preferences pane opens, click the last tab labeled Remote. This will help you set up remote access to the application.
The first thing you need to do is check the box next to Enable Remote Access to enable the web transfer interface.
Second, you can add password protection to your web client. To do this, check the Require Authentication box and then enter your username and password in the appropriate fields. Then you will need to use these accounts to access the web transfer interface.
Do not change the listening port if it is not used by other applications on your computer.
If you want the web interface to be accessible only to certain IP addresses, check the box for that, and then use the + (plus) sign to add those IP addresses. You can also use a wildcard.
Then click the Launch Web Interface button to launch the Web Transfer Interface in your browser.
- If all goes well, you should see an interface that looks something like this. This means that the web interface has been successfully configured.
The Transmission web client can now be accessed from your other computers.
Configure your router to accept connections
While this may not be for all routers, some routers require port forwarding to be configured before you can access the web transfer interface from a remote device. This can be configured in the settings menu of your router, and the general steps are given below.
- Find the local IP address of your computer. If you are on Windows, please refer to this guide Mac users must click on the Wi-Fi icon and select “Open Network Preferences” to view their IP address.
- Open a browser and enter 192.168.1.1. Enter the settings menu of your router. By default, both fields should include admin and admin.
- Click “Forwarding” at the top to open the forwarding options.
- On the next screen, select Port Forwarding.
Enter 9091 in the Start and End port fields.
Enter the local IP address of your computer in IP
Check the “Enable” box and click “OK” at the bottom.
- Open your browser, go to Google and search for “My IP”. Write down your IP address.
Use Send Web Interface
To use the web transfer interface, you only need the IP address from the remote device.
Open a browser on your remote computer / device and enter the IP address you wrote down in step 5 in the above section, with a colon and 9091. For example, if the IP address was 22.214.171.124, you would enter 126.96.36.199: 9091 and press Enter.
You will see the Transmission web interface on the screen.
Track downloads and uploads
You can see the progress of downloading and uploading your torrents. It’s on the home screen.
Pause and resume torrent download
You can also pause and resume downloads. Select the torrent you want to pause and click the pause icon at the top.
To resume torrent downloads, select the torrent and click the resume icon at the top.
Add new torrents to download
To add a new torrent to download, click the first icon and enter the torrent URL.
It will start downloading to your computer with Transmission installed.
Remove existing torrent downloads
If you no longer want to download the torrent, you can delete it.
Select torrent and then click the second icon on the menu bar. Select “Delete” on the screen.
The torrent you selected will be deleted.