Have you recently switched from the Windows operating system (OS) and its native applications to Ubuntu and its applications? Are you wondering how you can benefit from the best Linux apps on offer and still get the same functionality as Windows apps?
Nothing to worry about. Linux continues to become more user-friendly thanks to its open source platform and contributions from the developer community.
Below are a few Linux applications and utilities that you can install to improve your Ubuntu experience.
We listen to music on the computer to pass the time, help us concentrate, and increase our motivation. Below are some of the most popular Ubuntu music players.
Clementine is a multi-platform, modern music player and library organizer for finding and playing your favorite music quickly and easily.
Clementine is more than just a music player. It offers many other features, including the ability to:
- Create playlists
- Customize the interface.
- Stream music from various sources such as online distribution services and radio stations.
- Upload music files to various cloud storage platforms.
Organize and search your saved music library, play CDs, download missing album art from Last.fm and Amazon, and use your Android phone as a remote control device. Clementine Music Player enhances and expands your listening experience.
Other popular music players for Ubuntu include:
- Rhythmbox, the default music player for Ubuntu.
- CMUS, a small, fast and powerful console music player.
- Audacious, a lightweight, low-resource audio player
Many people think they need to use Mac or Windows to have access to the best image editing tools. However, there are many possibilities in Linux.
GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is an Adobe Photoshop alternative for Linux. It’s free and can be used to edit, resize, retouch, and apply other special effects to images.
GIMP is an open source application that has many of the same features as Photoshop. You can even use some Photoshop plugins.
Aside from being the most popular image editing application in Ubuntu, GIMP has another significant advantage. By default, GIMP is less than 100MB on your system and is especially useful if you are running low on disk space.
There are several other free open source imaging tools for Ubuntu, including:
- Inkscape, a vector graphics editor.
- Krita, a graphics editor with sketching tools and advanced digital painting
- Alternatively, Microsoft Paint Pinta allows users to draw and manipulate images.
The default browser for Ubuntu is Firefox. Google Chrome is the most used web browser on the Internet. However, many are concerned about their privacy. Brave is an alternative browser that blocks tracking scripts and ads by default.
Linux has several management and storage tools that are used to improve workspace performance.
LogicalDOC is a document management tool for Linux. It offers four different options depending on your needs.
The free open source version is called the Community Edition. It doesn’t provide all of the features of the paid versions, but it does:
- Advanced Search
- Access Control
- Integration Extensions for WordPress and Joomla
- web user interface
If you need more features, see the comparison table for this version, Business, Enterprise and Cloud editions. You will need to provide a MySQL database for your data storage application. If you don’t have MySQL, you need to install it
Other document management tools for Linux include:
- Alfresco, an open source, Enterprise edition Java-based document management program.
- Bitrix24, a document management solution that tracks activity, allows you to chat and manage projects and tasks.
- OpenKM (based on JAVA) offers a web interface, records management, integration with other services, and task automation.
Maintenance Tools and Drives
To keep your machine in top condition, you should perform system maintenance such as deleting cookies, deleting logs, and destroying temporary files.
Remove junk files from your system with BleachBit to protect your privacy, free up valuable disk space, and remove junk.
The program removes cookies, broken shortcuts, Internet history, cache and temporary files. Other Linux maintenance apps and disk utilities:
- Ubuntu Cleaner, easy to set up, removes personal information and frees up disk space.
- Stacer, a monitoring tool and system optimizer that also cleans up application logs, crash and application caches, and empties the trash.
- GtkOrphan, a graphical tool that will find and remove orphaned libraries.
Cloud Storage & Sync
While there are many options available on the market for storing your valuable data in the cloud, some of these programs have limitations regarding privacy and user control over files.
Linux offers several cloud storage solutions to keep your data secure.
OwnCloud is one of the most popular and largest community-driven open source cloud storage programs. It is a Linux replacement for Dropbox and a standalone sharing and sync server with access to unlimited storage space.
Other features include URL-based content sharing, file storage and encryption, and one-click app installation.
Other Ubuntu cloud storage and sync programs include:
- Nextcloud, where you can share multiple folders and files and sync them to your Nextcloud server.
- GlusterFS, a scalable file, network attached storage
- Seafile, a free open source file storage and collaboration platform that allows you to edit documents online and store file versions and snapshots of folders to restore to a previous version.
Best Video Linux Applications
Various video applications are available for Linux users.
VLC is a portable media player that supports a variety of video and audio formats, VCDs, DVDs, and various streaming protocols without additional codecs.
VLC has many more features, including a responsive and clean user interface, multiple audio streams, and extensive theme options.
Other video software programs include:
Messaging has become a part of our daily life, both personally and professionally. There is no shortage of Linux app options.
If you are looking for an open source messaging app for Linux similar to WhatsApp, Telegram is very popular.
Telegram works seamlessly and looks good on the Linux desktop.
Other messaging applications include:
Securing your Linux system is essential to protect your data. Basic system security includes using hard-to-guess passwords, regular backups, and removing services you don’t need or need.
Archery is a robust vulnerability assessment and security management tool.
With Archery, you can manage:
- vulnerability from multiple scanners;
- static scanning and risk detection;
- Risk and Compliance Management
Web scan results display data visually in a dashboard to help assess the risks of web applications.
Several other important security apps for Linux include:
- Privacy Badger, a security app that blocks invisible trackers and spyware ads.
- Radare2, a popular Linux security tool used to examine firmware, any type of binaries or malware.
- Intrigue, a Linux security utility used to detect attack surfaces related to vulnerabilities, security research, applications, and infrastructure.
If you enjoy playing games, you can install many Linux apps for free as Snap apps from the official Snapcraft store.
SuperTuxKart is a free kart racing game with great graphics, a varied set of tracks and a collection of karts and characters to choose from.
Some other fun games include:
Many users who change their operating system (OS) after long-term use of another often find it difficult to find the best alternative in the new OS.
Fortunately for those migrating to Linux Ubuntu, there are thousands of free open source applications out there, so you can find the best Linux applications to suit your needs.