Tips, Tricks, & Hacks To Use Apple Reminders Effectively.
Apple Reminders is one of the really useful apps that comes pre-loaded on your iOS and Mac devices. As the name suggests, and as you may already know, it allows you to create reminders that you want to be reminded of on your devices. You can use it to get reminders for tasks you think you will forget if you don’t add them to the list.
Most people using the Apple Reminders app only use its basic features. In fact, it has a lot more to offer that you can use to create advanced reminders on your devices. Some of these features include the ability to add reminders using Siri, get reminders when you are in a specific location, and more
Use menus to group similar tasks
One of the underused features of Apple Reminders is the task list. By default, most people add all of their reminders to one list. While this might work if you’re only using the app for specific reminders, you can actually create a list for each type of reminder to keep things a little more organized.
You can create various lists and then write your reminders in them. For example, you can create a personal list for personal reminders and an office list for office-related reminders.
This way, you can quickly jump to a specific type of reminder and see all the tasks listed in it.
- Launch the Reminders app on your device.
- Click your screen at the bottom of the screen and you will see the available lists.
- Click the + (plus) sign in the upper right corner to add a new list.
- This will ask you what new element you want to create. Click on “List” to create a new list.
- Enter a name for your list, choose a color for it, and click Done to save the list.
- You can now add reminders to your newly created list.
Change your menu color
The Reminders app allows you to customize the color for your lists to make it easier for you to find them. You can assign one of the different colors available in the app and your list will be highlighted in the color you choose.
List color can be assigned to both new lists and existing ones.
Assign a color to the new list
- Choosing a specific color for a new list is pretty easy. From the new list creation screen, just click on the color you want for your list and that’s it.
Change the color of an existing list
- Open the list for which you want to change the color.
- Click the Edit link in the upper right corner.
- Select the option labeled Color.
- Select a new color from the list of available colors.
Share your list with other people
Sometimes you may need to share some reminder lists with other people. This is especially important in a business environment where several people are working on a job.
Apple Reminders app lets you add people to your lists and then they can contribute to them. All they have to do is turn on iCloud on their devices and they need to be able to access your lists and add them to your lists.
- Open the Reminders app on your device.
- Select the list you want to share with other people.
- Click the Edit option in the upper right corner.
- Click on the Share option.
- On the next screen, click “Add Person” to add people to your list.
- Select a person from your list and click “Add” in the upper right corner.
- This person will be added to your list and they can manage your list with you.
Hide and unhide completed tasks in reminders
To avoid cluttering the user interface, the Reminders app hides any tasks you’ve marked completed. As soon as you swipe a task, it is removed from the main list and moved to the hidden completed list.
Many users may think that their completed tasks have been deleted because the application does not show how to view completed tasks. However, this is not the case, and you can view completed tasks using the corresponding option in the application.
- Open the Reminders app.
- Select the list that contains your completed task. was discovered.
- At the bottom of the screen, you will see a Show Completed option. Click on it and it will open.
- You will now see a list of all the tasks you have completed.
Create reminders by location
Time-based reminders are common and can be created in most reminder apps. However, location-based reminders are rare but can be created in the Apple Reminders app on iOS and Mac devices.
Location Based Reminder sends you a notification when you are at a specific location that is assigned to your reminder. For example, you can set a reminder to buy milk when you are at Walmart. When you are actually in that location, the app will notify you and display your reminder.
- Start the Reminders app.
- Open the list in which you want to create a location-based reminder.
- Begin typing your reminder and then tap the i next to it.
- Set the Remind Me At Location switch to ON.
- Click “Location” and you can specify a location for the reminder.
- Enter the name of the place and select it when it appears.
- Click Done in the top right corner to save the location-based reminder.
Add new reminders with Siri
If you’re in a rush or can’t enter a reminder, you can use Siri to create a new reminder in the Apple Reminders app. Since both Siri and Reminders are designed by Apple, they are tightly integrated with each other, and you can use one to create items within the other.
- Launch Siri as usual.
- Ask her. Remind me, then add whatever you want to remind me of. For example, you can ask her to Remind me to buy milk tomorrow at 8:00, and she will create a reminder at 8:00 tomorrow in the app.
- You can use natural language variations to create specific reminders.
Change the default reminder list
If you do not specify a specific list for adding new reminders, the application will add them to the default list. You can change the default list if you like, and all of your unassigned future tasks will be added to this list.
- Launch the Settings app on your device.
- Find and tap about reminder options.
- Click on the Default List option.
- Select a list to be your new default list.
If you use Apple Reminders as your primary reminder app, what tricks do you use to get the most out of it? Let us and our readers know about it in the comments section below.