Linux systems are known to be more secure than Windows However, this does not mean that they are fully protected from threats. The number of malware attacks on Linux systems is increasing. This article will describe seven free antivirus software for Linux.
Be sure to check out our other articles on the best antivirus options for Mac and the best antivirus options for Android devices We also have articles on rootkits-in-windows-10-in-depth-gui/”>how to detect rootkits on Windows and rootkits/”>how to detect rootkits on Mac
ClamAV is an open source antivirus engine used to detect viruses, trojans, malware and other malicious threats. It can run on both Linux server and Linux desktop.
All actions with this tool use the command line. Features include:
- Multi-language support.
- Easy to use
- Scans a variety of file formats and mail gateways.
- POSIX support.
- Provides virus database updates.
ClamAV works through the terminal and does not have its own GUI, although you can upload your own. It can scan compressed files (supports Rar, Zip, 7Zip and Tar) and archives.
If you’re looking for an automatic file scanner, ClamAV is not for you. This requires you to open the files first.
Another disadvantage of this program is its low processing speed and infrequent system updates.
2. Your words
ClamTK itself is not an antivirus scanner. It is a graphical interface for ClamAV For those users who do not want to use the command line interface, ClamTK provides the same functionality as ClamAV through an easy to use graphical interface.
The main feature of ClamTK is the ability to use all the advanced features of Clam AV in a simple graphical interface. Other features include:
- Exclude folders and files using the whitelist feature.
- Easy scheduling of scans.
- Supports the integration of folder scanning with all major desktop environments.
- Can be installed on most popular Linux operating systems.
- Configure scan schedules.
- Scanning individual directories and files manually.
- Download definition updates.
- Users can safely delete files that have been moved to Quarantine Manager.
- Quick access to scan logs from the history browser
Comodo Antivirus, sometimes called CALV, includes an on-demand scanner, real-time behavior analysis, and anti-spam and anti-phishing protection.
Other features of this free antivirus software include:
- Custom scan profiles.
- Regular and automatic updates.
- Cloud technology
- Provides 360-degree protection against zero-day malware and unknown malware.
- Virus definitions are updated many times a day.
Comodo Antivirus can be overwhelming for those who are not tech savvy. Be careful and be careful when installing the free version. By default, Comodo automatically changes your browser and primary search engine.
Comodo also lacks web filtering and URL blocking
For power users looking for a feature rich and customizable antivirus program, Comodo is a good choice. Ordinary users may find it too difficult to use.
Rootkit Hunter is a small utility that uses a backdoor and other local exploits to detect Trojans and viruses.
Other features include:
- Easy to use and fast
- Works from the command line.
- Supports many Linux distributions.
- 32-bit and 64-bit compatibility
- Uses the graphical or command line interface.
- Does not affect system performance
- Scans a huge database of known threats (over 21 million) and other variants.
- Performs a scheduled scan.
- Detects various types of infiltration, including boot sectors.
- Available for several Linux distributions.
- Detects almost all the latest rootkits because the open source community is constantly updating them.
- Fast and easy to use
- Lightweight and portable.
- Can be burned to USB or CD.
- Runs from the terminal.
- Effectively detects modified wtmp and lastlog files to alert administrators of intrusions
- Detects and blocks malware with on-demand, scheduled or on-access scans.
- Updates typically do not exceed 50KB and have little impact on system performance
- Quiet and easy to install.
- Can run all commands (except savscan) from the CLI as the root user.
- Uses live protection to search for malicious files in real time
- Configure scanning of local and network drives
Rootkit Hunter detects rootkits by scanning files for unrecognized changes. To recognize if there has been a change, Rootkit needs to know how the files should look on a clean system. Therefore, you must install it to get a basis for future scans.
If you wait for your system to get infected, Rootkit Hunter won’t be very helpful.
F-Prot is a free antivirus program for Linux home users that protects their systems from malware. It scans for ransomware, boot sector viruses and other malicious threats.
It includes other features like:
F-Prot does not include internet security tools such as virtual keyboards, browser extensions or phishing detectors to protect against keyloggers.
However, for those interested in an effective and functional antivirus program, this is a good choice.
Chkrootkit has many other features like:
Chkrootkit does not release new versions as often as some other antivirus programs.
Some of the features of Sophos are:
By detecting and blocking non-Linux viruses that may be stored on your computer, Sophos protects your Linux system from being exposed to malware from other operating systems that you may be using.
Sophos does not have a built-in graphical interface. The free version does not provide access to subscriptions or technical support.
While Linux systems are better protected than Windows, there is no way to be 100% secure from malware threats. Why not protect your computer by installing at least one of the free antivirus programs listed above?