Send Files From Computer to Android over WiFi.
Since you’re reading this, it’s safe to assume that you have a computer, Wi-Fi, and multiple Android phones. Right? And from time to time, you need to send files from computer to Android. As for me, I usually broadcast big videos, I like movies or TV shows. But it could be anything.
If it was a few years ago, your only option would be to use a USB cable. But no more. Now you can easily send and receive files using Wi-Fi. It’s quick and easy. All you need is both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. It even works with a mobile hotspot.
So what’s the best way?
Well, there are several ways to transfer files between computers and Android. I’m sure some of you already know about them. My favorites, however, are Airdroid and the ES file manager. Why? Because they are fast, lightweight and reliable.
There are two cases to consider.
1. Transfer files from computer to Android
2. Transfer files from Android and computer.
For the former, we will use Airdroid, and for the latter, we will use ES File Explorer. And when we talk about a computer, I usually mean PC and Mac. Haven’t tried it on Linux but it should work.
Side note: if you don’t want to get 2 separate apps, use only ES file explorer. It can do both, that is, send files between your computer and Android and vice versa. Here’s a detailed tutorial. However, I represent Airdroid because it can do many other great things. We’ll see them later.
Transfer files with Airdroid
Make sure your computer and Android are on the same network.
1. Start by installing Airdroid on your android.
2. Run the application and you will see a web address like 192.168.1.101:8888, go to your computer and type it in your browser.
3. You will see an authentication popup on your Android. Click “OK” and the connection will be established. Drag the files to your browser and they will be uploaded to the sdcard / Airdroid / upload directory on your Android device.
See screenshot below.
File transfer is another feature of Airdroid. With it, you can control all aspects of Android from your computer. For example, you can use your Android as a security camera, make calls or send messages, or even control your Android screen from your computer.
Transfer files using ES File Explorer
ES File Explorer is the best file management app. It can do a lot more than a regular file manager. One of the many features is file transfer.
Follow these steps
1. If you are not already using ES File Explorer, download it from here.
2. Open an application, select LAN Network and press the scan button.
3. When the scan is finished, you will see the IP address. These are other computers on the same network.
4. Select your computer and enter your username / password. If you don’t know how to do this, watch the video below.
5. Once you see the shared folders on your PC, just copy and paste the files. Check out these step-by-step screenshots here or watch the following video.