Never Miss a Birthday: Import Facebook Birthdays to Google Calendar.
Even though Facebook reminds us of our friend’s birthday, I’m sure many of you still choose to personally wish your close friends over the phone. I always wish my friends just in time and have been doing this for a year now, without missing a single birthday. So what’s the secret to not forgetting your friend’s birthdays?
Yes, you guessed it, I’m using a reminder service to send me a notification. There are many free birthday reminder apps such as Birthday Calendar for Android or Birthday Sweet for iOS devices. However, I do not find them reliable in the long run, as applications need to be checked regularly for upcoming birthdays. And if somehow you uninstall these birthday reminder apps, you might miss an important birthday. Therefore, we need something that we can count on 100% in the long run.
And the solution to this is Google Calendar; currently everyone has a Google account and a mobile phone to receive SMS notifications. Therefore, in this post, I will show you how to import birthday list from Facebook and upload them to Google calendar, then set up SMS notification to remind us of the birthday.
Import birthdays from Facebook to Google Calendar
1. Start by logging into your Facebook account go to the apps option on the left side of the screen select an event. Or you can click on this url.
2. On the right side of the screen, you will see this week’s Birthday right-click the birthday URL copy the link address.
3. Now open your Google calendar click the small drop-down arrow next to another calendar on the left side of the screen click the Add by URL option.
4. Paste the URL and click the add calendar option. This will import all of your Facebook friends’ birthdays to Google Calendar.
5. To customize the SMS, the notification clicks on the small drop-down arrow in the calendar you just imported and selected to customize the calendar. On the Reminders and Notifications tab, enter your mobile phone number. And choose when you want to be notified. After making the changes, click OK.
This is it; now you will receive an SMS notification about your friend’s birthday. However, you might want to make things more personalized;
- Remove multiple birthdays, assuming not all Facebook friends are close friends.
- Add multiple birthdays of your friends that are not on your friends list.
Doing this manually can take a while, but it will save you a lot of unnecessary notifications throughout the year.