Make Photo Square Without Cropping â€“ Online Tools.
When you take a photo with your phone or camera, the photo will be in either landscape or portrait mode. However, there will be times when you need to take a square photo without losing detail. The most common way to make a photo square is to resize or crop the image. When resizing, you can distort the image. When cropping, you can lose a lot of detail in your photo. To deal with this, you can simply resize the canvas. Here’s how to do it.
Make the image square without cropping
Option 1 – One-click option
If you’re looking for a one-click web app to turn a rectangular photo into a square without cropping, then this is the best option. Kapwing recently removed the watermark from its free version. All you have to do is drag your photo (or even video) to this link and wait a few seconds for it to be processed.
The app will automatically apply white padding to your image, making it a perfect square. Not only that, you also have the ability to choose between other picture formats such as 4: 5, 5: 4, 16: 9. You can also make other changes like left-right and bottom alignment of the picture, etc. E. And when you are satisfied with your changes, click the red Export Image button at the top right of the web page.
On the next page, you can click the large download button to the left of the image to download a jpeg version of it.
Option 2 – Pixlr
To make a photo square without cropping, we’ll use the free Pixlr tool. As a web tool, it is independent of the operating system and you can use it directly in your web browser.
1. First, go to the Pixlr website and select the “Open image from computer” option.
2. In this window, go to the folder where your photo is stored, select it and click the “Open” button.
3. The above action will open the photo in Pixlr editor. Now click on the Canvas Size option under the Image tab.
4. For a landscape image, match the height with the width. For a portrait image, match the width with the height. Since my photo is in landscape mode, I change the height of the photo canvas to match the width. Select the Center tile next to Anchor to center the photo on the canvas. After you are done with the changes, click the “OK” button to apply the changes.
5. After applying the changes, it looks like this in the Pixlr editor. As you can see, we’ve added white space at the top and bottom of the photo to make it square without distorting or losing detail.
6. To save the photo, select the “Save” option on the “File” tab.
7. Enter a new name for the file, select JPEG format, leave the default quality setting, and click OK.
8. In this window, click the “Save” button to save the photo.
If you open the uploaded photo with an image viewer of your choice, you will see that the photo is square.
Option 3 – Mac
Polarr Photo Editor is available in the macOS App Store and can be used as an integration with iPhoto editor or as a standalone editing tool. While not specifically for Instagram, this tool helps you get square photos by adding padding.
After you download Polarr Photo Editor, open the editor app and import the image. When the image is loaded, click the settings tab on the right side of the screen. Scroll down and click Border. Now choose the aspect ratio and border color from the available customizable menu. When you click the Save button, your photo changes will be saved and your iPhoto library will be updated immediately. If you’re using an iPhone, you probably have one in your iPhone library as well.
Option 4 – Windows
Square Size No Crop Photo Maker is a Windows app that does what is required of it. The app is available in the Windows store and can be downloaded for free.
Once downloaded, open the app and click the gallery tab to select a photo to import and edit. After the photo is imported, you will see several editing options at the bottom. You can choose a solid or blurred background. Moreover, you can choose from several editing options such as stickers, effects, etc.
When you’re finished editing the image, click the download icon in the upper right corner. If you don’t see some options or the download button, switch to full screen mode. The app seems to be optimized for full screen use.