Links not working/opening on Instagram? 8 Fixes Worth Trying.The Instagram app for Android and iOS has a built-in web browser. Without leaving the app, you can open links in Instagram stories, biographies, direct messages and sponsored posts. However, problems with your Internet connection or the Instagram app may prevent links from opening in your browser within the app.Try the troubleshooting tips below if Instagram can’t open web links on your Android or iOS device.
1. Check your internet connection
Instagram may not open website links when your internet connection is slow, unstable, or weak. Switch to a Wi-Fi network if you’re using cellular data and open the link again.Reboot your router or contact your ISP if the problem persists. Refresh your cellular and Wi-Fi connections by putting your phone in Airplane mode and turning it off.Swipe up from the top of your Android device’s screen and tap the airplane icon to turn on airplane mode. Wait 3-5 seconds and tap the icon again to turn off Airplane mode.Alternatively, open Settings > Network & Internet (or Connections), turn on Airplane mode and turn it off again.If you’re using an iPhone, open the Settings app, turn on Airplane mode and turn it back on after few seconds.Reconnect your phone to the internet via cellular or Wi-Fi, open Instagram and check if the app opens web links.If you are using a virtual private network (VPN), disable it and try opening the link again. Also, check your router, firewall, or proxy app settings for website restrictions, especially if Instagram is not opening links to certain websites.
2. Clear Instagram cookies and browser data
Instagram stores data from websites or links you visit in your browser within the app. Instagram may not open links if browser data is over-accumulated or corrupted. Clearing Instagram’s browser data may cause the app to open website links again.
Clear Instagram browser data (Android)
Open any website link on Instagram and follow the instructions below.
- Click the three-dot menu icon in the top right corner and select menu icon :bold”>Browser settings.
- Click Clear in the “Browsing data” line, to clear Instagram browser data in the app.
Close your browser, open the link again, and check if the Instagram site loads. Restart Instagram and open the link again if the problem persists.
Clear Instagram browser data (iOS)
Open any link in the Instagram app and follow the instructions below.
- Click the three-dot menu icon in the top right corner and select menu icon :bold”>Browser settings
- Click Clear cookies and cache in the ” section Browsing data.”
- Select Clear browsing data in the confirmation pop-up to continue.
Close your browser and visit the web link again. Close and reopen Instagram if your browser still won’t load the site.
3. Force close and restart Instagram
Force close Instagram on your phone if the app doesn’t respond when you click on website links.
Force close Instagram on Android
- Tap and hold the Instagram app icon on your device’s home page or app library.
- Tap the information icon (i) to open the Instagram app information page.
- Click Force stop and select OK in the pop-up window. .
- Click Open to restart Instagram and check if you can open links in the app.
Force close Instagram on iPhone
If your iPhone has Face ID, swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen and stop in the middle of the screen. Find Instagram in the app switcher and swipe up on the app to close it.Double-click the Home button to open the App Switcher on iPhone SE, iPhone 8, or earlier. Swipe up on the Instagram preview to close the app.
4. Use your phone’s default browser
Instagram blocks certain types of links, such as shortened links and links to platforms that distribute explicit content or spam. You may also have trouble accessing links to other social networks such as Telegram and Snapchat through Instagram.If Instagram is not opening certain websites, try opening the links in your phone’s default browser or any external web browser.On Instagram for Android, tap the three-dot menu icon in the top right corner and select Open. in [Browser name]. Or tap the menu icon, select Share via…, select your browser to share. menu and select Open in [browser name]. You can also copy the Instagram links and open them in your preferred (external) browser. Tap the menu icon in the Instagram browser and select Copy link. Paste the copied link into your preferred browser to visit the website. In the Instagram iOS app, tap the three-dot menu icon in the top right corner and select Open in system browser. Want to change the default browser on your phone? See our guide to changing default browsers on iPhone and Android devices.
5. Update your Instagram app
Instagram may not work properly if you are using an outdated version of the app on your device. Updating Instagram to the latest version can return broken features back to normal.Open the Play Store (Android) or App Store (iPhone), search for “Instagram” and click Update to update Instagram.
6. Clear cache and data from Instagram app (Android)
Clear your Instagram cache or data if you still can’t open web links after updating the app.
- Tap the Instagram app icon on your Home screen or in your App Library. Select the information icon (i) from the pop-up menu.
- Select Storage.
- Tap the Clear cache icon to delete Instagram cache files on your device.
Restart Instagram and check if the app opens website links. Clear your Instagram app data (see step 4) if the problem persists.
- Go back to the Instagram storage information page (see steps #1 and #2) and click Clear data.
- Select Delete or OK in the pop-up window to continue. .
Open the app again, log into your Instagram account, and try opening website links in your direct messages, bios, or stories.
7. Contact Instagram user or page admin
Web links will not open on Instagram (or any browser) if they are broken or expired. If someone shared a link in a direct message (DM), ask if they can access the web page in their Instagram app or web browser.If yes, then most likely you have the wrong URL/link. Request a new link from the sender/user or report the failure to the site administrator. If the Instagram bio link is not active, message the user or page admin to send the link via DM.
8. Report the problem to Instagram
If Instagram still won’t open links, there’s likely an unresolved bug or technical issue with the app. Report the issue to Instagram through the app’s settings menu. Open your Instagram profile and follow the instructions to submit a bug report.
- Click the hamburger menu icon in the top right corner and select Settings and Privacy
- Scroll to the More Information and Support section and click Help
- Select Report a problem.
- Select Report a problem without shaking.
- Click Enable and Continue to include information about your device, account activity, and online logs in the report. Otherwise, select Do not include and continue to continue.
- Describe the problem you encountered or enter detailed information about the link in the dialog box. If you receive a specific error when opening a link, attach a screenshot of the error to your report.
- Click Submit in the top right corner to post your report to Instagram.
Accessing web pages on Instagram
Uninstall and reinstall Instagram if the app still doesn’t open web links. Also, keep an eye on the Instagram page in your device’s app store for updates.
Links not working/opening on Instagram? 8 Fixes Worth Trying
Links not working/opening on Instagram? 8 Fixes Worth Trying