How to wave on Facebook (PC and Mobile).Starting a conversation with someone through a social media platform like Facebook can be intimidating. We often take too long to think about what to say and how to introduce ourselves. Once upon a time, poking was something special. When you didn’t know how to start a conversation, you could just poke someone to get their attention. If they poked you back, you knew they were ready to chat and you knew where to start. The poking is long gone, but not forgotten. It has been replaced with a wave emoji.The wave feature is a much nicer way to start a conversation than poking. You can use it to say hello to friends, family, acquaintances, and even people you don’t know yet without feeling embarrassed. If someone waves at you on Facebook, it’s considered polite to wave back. If you don’t know how to wave on Facebook, this article explains how to do it not only on desktop, but also on mobile, both through the Facebook app and through Messenger.
What Does Waving on Facebook Mean?
It’s pretty simple. Just like in the real world, if someone waves to you, they greet you. The wave emoji, yellow hand, is an alternative and fun way to start a conversation. It means hello, but as a symbol, and it gives more meaning to the chat.Just typing “Hello” in chat seems insensitive. On social media, words can’t express the emotion behind the word like emoji can. After all, that is why they are called emoticons. In cultures around the world, waving is a cheerful greeting and is often understood as a polite invitation to light-hearted conversation. That’s why it’s the perfect symbol to use when starting a Facebook conversation with someone on your friends list.
How to Send a Wave on the Facebook Messenger App
Most Facebook chats are done through the Messenger app, which is very convenient. So let’s see how to send a wave using the Messenger app.
- Open the Messenger app on Android or iPhone. Make sure you are signed in to your Facebook account.
- Messenger will automatically display your latest chats. Click on the chat with the person you want to send the wave to.
- If you haven’t had any recent chats with this particular person, go to the People tab at the bottom of the screen. Here you will see all currently active friends. Click on the name of the friend you want to send the wave to.
- When a chat with this person opens, tap the emoji icon to the side of where you type your message.
- The emoji menu will open. Scroll down until you find the waves icon (represented by a waving hand) and tap it.
- Click the send icon and the wave will be sent to your friend.
That’s all! Sending a Wave emoji through the Messenger app is very easy.
How to Send a Wave to Someone by Using the Facebook App
If you don’t have the Messenger app installed on your smartphone, but you use the Facebook app, don’t worry, you can still send a wave to a person on your friends list. Follow these simple steps:
- Open the Facebook app on your Android or iOS device.
- Make sure you are logged in with your Facebook credentials.
- Click the Messenger icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- This will open a chat page where you can find the person you want to wave to.
- When the chat opens, select the emoji icon.
- Find and tap the wave icon.
- Press the submit button.
You will notice that the last few steps are the same as if you were using the Messenger app. This is because Facebook has made sure that their chat is the same across platforms so people don’t have to learn new ways to communicate online.
How to Send Wave on Facebook Using Desktop PC
You can also virtually wave to your Facebook friends from the Facebook website. This section explains how to do this. Note that it doesn’t matter if you’re using Windows, Linux, or MacOS, the steps will be the same. All you need is a web browser.
- Open any web browser and go to the Facebook page.
- Sign in with your Facebook account if you’re not already signed in.
- Locate the Chat icon. It’s in the top right corner, between the menu and the notification icon.
- From the list of active chats, select the person you want to wave to.
- If you’ve never spoken to this person before, you can use the search bar on the chat tab to find them.
- When you find a friend you want to start a conversation with, tap their name to open the chat.
- Find the emoji icon in the text field, right where you type your messages, and click it.
- You can either scroll down and find the wave icon manually, or use the search bar and type Wave to quickly find it.
- Tap the Wave emoji, then tap the submit button.
And it’s all. There is not much difference between sending a wave from Facebook’s mobile or desktop platform. As stated earlier, Facebook makes this simple so its users won’t be confused when switching from desktop to app and vice versa.If someone waves at you and you want to wave back, the process is the same. Find the wave icon in the emoji menu and send it. It is so simple.
How to Unsend a Wave on Facebook
If you accidentally sent a wave to the wrong person, don’t worry, you can easily delete it from their inbox. If you’re fast enough, you can cancel it before they even see it. Here’s how:
- Go to your chat and select the person you sent the unwanted wave to.
- Click on the wave if you’re using a mobile device, or hover over it and you’ll see three dots that represent the Advanced menu.
- Click or tap on the three dots and select the Delete option.
- When prompted, select the Unsubmit All option and click or tap the Remove button.
You will notice that the message has been removed from your inbox. But the recipient might get a notification that you didn’t send the message. Depending on your relationship with that person, you may be able to explain that you sent something by mistake.A social media greeting can provide a more personal and real interaction between you and your friends, family, and even strangers. Also, if you want to be more creative, you can always turn your wave into a piece of art of sorts by adding more emojis or funny GIFs.
How to wave on Facebook (PC and Mobile)
How to wave on Facebook (PC and Mobile)