How to Use Photoshop Overlays with Easy Step.
If you are into photography, you are probably always looking for ways to add new, dynamic and unique effects to your finished work. An easy way to do this is to add overlays while editing photos in Photoshop.
Overlays are like adding effects without any extra work when taking a photo. You can load the effects into your editing project and manipulate them as you see fit until you are happy with the result. Editing photos in Photoshop can save you time.
There are many overlays available on the internet, so here’s a guide to using them and creating stunning photos.
Where to Find Overlays for Photoshop
If you browse the web for Photoshop overlays, you are bombarded with many sets of overlays and designs. Some of them will be free, and many will have to be paid for. It all depends on what exactly you want.
If you are trying to decide whether to buy overlays or not, you can always try to find something like this for free. There are many options. Here are some popular types of overlays:
- Bokeh: These are those blurry spots of light that can make your photos feel cozy.
- Color. If you want to quickly change the colors of an image, overlays can come in handy.
- Texture: Are you trying to simulate the feel of an old grainy film? Texture overlays are your friend. You can use them to add all kinds of vintage, distressed textures or any pattern.
- Weather. These overlays take your outdoor photography to the next level. You can add effects like fog, snow or rain.
These are just a few of the types of Photoshop overlays that you can find online. You can find both free and paid overlays. Just be careful where you download them from, especially if they are free, to avoid downloading malware.
Plus, you can also create your own Photoshop overlays for future use.
How to Use Photoshop Overlays
When you find the desired overlay and download it to your computer, you can edit your photo with it. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Photoshop and the photo you want to add an overlay to.
- Drag the overlay file in Photoshop onto your photo.
- It should load into your project as a new layer. From here, you can fit it to fit your photo, then hit Enter to set the overlay to your photo.
- You can now edit the image overlay on your photo. To do this, you can change the Blending Mode, which changes the way the overlay is applied to your photo. You can also try changing the opacity if you want the overlay to be more or less subtle. If you want to remove the overlay at specific locations, you can edit it using the mask function. This will allow you to erase parts of the overlay with the brush.
Editing the Overlay With Your Photo
After adding the overlay, you probably want to edit it a bit to better match your photo and your desired look. Besides some of the editing suggestions above, there are other ways to change the overlay to your liking.
Change overlay color
Sometimes, the original overlay color may not quite match the color scheme of your photo. You can easily fix this by editing the color of your overlay.
First you need to select the overlay layer and then go to Image> Adjustments> Hue / Saturation. This will create an adjustment layer for your blend. A window should appear where you can adjust the color of the layer using the Hue slider.
You can also adjust saturation or brightness for more effects.
If you want to work with different blend color channels, select the drop-down list, which is set to Master by default. Here you can select a different color channel to edit only that one.
Using Blend Modes
As mentioned above, blending modes affect how your overlay is applied to the main photo. For most overlays and textures, you need to select a screen blend mode.
However, you can also experiment with different modes to see which ones work best for your project. You can also edit blend modes for even more unique effects.
Lighter or Darker
If you notice that the blend is too light or too dark in certain places, you can change that with Adjustment Layers. You can add a Curves adjustment layer and drag down the center of the curve to darken the photo. Then you can use the black paint tool to erase unnecessary areas of the layer.
On the other hand, if you want to lighten parts of an image, use the same Curves setting and then go to Filters & Settings> Invert. Then use a white brush to lighten the blending areas.
Using Photoshop Overlays
Photoshop overlays are a quick and easy way to add something special to your photos and make them more unique. Keep in mind, however, that you don’t want to add too many overlays at the same time, or you might distract attention from what you photographed.
You can also try making sure the overlay doesn’t clash too much with the photo. But how you use overlays for your creative purposes is up to you and depends on which look you intend to use.
Overall, Photoshop overlays are a great tool for any photographer or photo editor to add to their photo editing arsenal.
How to Use Photoshop Overlays with Easy Step
How to Use Photoshop Overlays with Easy Step
photoshop overlay effects
how to use overlays in photoshop
how to use overlays in photoshop 2020
photoshop overlay layer
how to make a transparent overlay in photoshop
adobe photoshop overlays
how to use overlays on capcut
how to use overlays in lightroom