If you are planning to install any custom ROMs or custom kernels on your Android device, you will need a custom recovery for that. A custom recovery like ClockworkMod recovery can help you flash various custom files on your device.
Before using the recovery program, you need to flash it on your device. To replace the default recovery on your device with a custom recovery, you need to follow certain steps. This guide will show you how to install and use a custom ClockworkMod recovery on your Android device.
What is ClockworkMod Recovery?
ClockworkMod Recovery is one of the first recovery tools for Android devices. This is a custom restore that, when installed, replaces the standard restore and gives you more functionality than the standard restore.
Recovery is available for a range of Android devices.
It was developed by Koush, who is also the developer of some of the popular apps for Android devices
How to flash ClockworkMod Recovery on Android?
There are actually several ways to flash ClockworkMod recovery on your Android phone or tablet. Depending on how you implemented your device or how you intend to do it, you can use the appropriate method to install recovery on your phone.
You can reprogram the recovery with either the app or the Fastboot utility.
Use ROM Manager to install recovery
The easiest way to install ClockworkMod recovery on your device is to use the developer’s own ROM Manager app. The main purpose of the app is to help you install recovery on your device easily, and it does it very well.
You can grab the app from the Play Store and use it to replace the standard recovery with CWM.
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android device, search for ROM Manager and install it.
- Launch the application and click Flash ClockworkMod Recovery in the main interface.
- You will be prompted to select a phone model from the list. Do this and then click Flash ClockworkMod Recovery to start installing the recovery to your device.
- The application will tell you when the restore is installed.
Use Fastboot to flash recovery
Unlike TWRP recovery, ClockworkMod recovery is usually only updated using the ROM Manager app. The second common installation method is using Odin for Samsung devices.
However, if your phone supports Fastboot (which most phones have), you can use it to flash CWM into the recovery slot on your phone. This can be done by running a few commands using the Fastboot utility.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your device by going to Settings> Developer options.
- Download Fastboot and extract its contents to a folder on your computer.
- Go to the XDA forums, find the forum for your specific phone model, find an available ClockworkMod recovery for your device. and download the IMG version to the Fastboot folder on your computer.
- Connect your phone to your computer with a compatible cable.
- Open the Fastboot folder while holding Shift, right-click any empty space and select “Open Command Window Here”.
- Enter the following command to reboot into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Enter the following command to perform recovery on your phone. Make sure to replace cwm.img with the actual name of the downloaded recovery.
fastboot flash recovery cwm.img
- After flashing recovery, run the following command to reboot the device.
How to restart in ClockworkMod recovery mode?
Use ROM Manager for a quick reboot in Recovery
Using ROM Manager app to reboot in CWM recovery mode is easier and faster than any other methods.
- Launch the ROM Manager application on your device.
- Click the Reboot in Recovery Mode icon to reboot your phone in ClockworkMod recovery mode.
- The application will close and recovery will begin.
Use ADB to reboot into ClockworkMod recovery mode
ADB is a relatively difficult method to enter ClockworkMod recovery mode, but the steps remain the same no matter what Android device you have.
- Open the Fastboot folder while holding Shift, right-click anywhere in an empty space and select Open Command Window Here.
- Execute the following command and you will enter CWM recovery mode.
adb reboot recovery
How to use ClockworkMod Recovery?
Once you enter recovery mode on your device, you will be presented with several options to choose from. You can play around with any options you like, and each one has its own possibilities.
Reboot system now
You will want to use this option when you finish your tasks in recovery mode and want to reboot your device to normal mode. This option will do it for you.
Install zip from SD card
This should allow you to install custom kernels, custom ROMs, and various other custom development files on your device. Anything that requires installation from recovery can be installed using this option.
Clear data / restore factory settings
If the factory restore options don’t work for you on your device, you can use this option to directly erase all data and restore your phone to factory settings from recovery mode.
Clear cache section
As the name suggests, it allows you to erase cache files on your device.
Backup and recovery
The backup option allows you to create a complete backup of your Android phone or tablet. This must be done before installing your own ROM.
The restore option allows you to restore a backup of ClockworkMod’s recovery mode, and is typically used when the reprogramming procedure did not go as planned and you need to return to working conditions.