If you’re sticking to a basic blue background and a standard color scheme, you may not have realized the depth of personalization that Windows 10 offers. One of the most interesting features is the ability to apply live wallpapers Instead of a static image, you can see a moving video as your desktop background.
There are several ways to use video as wallpaper on your Windows 10 PC. Several third-party applications, including VLC, allow you to apply video wallpaper to your desktop background. There are also dedicated video background apps that let you apply custom background images to your desktop.
Apply video wallpapers with VLC
For those familiar with the free, open source VLC media player, it should come as no surprise that it includes a feature to let you apply videos as your desktop wallpaper.
VLC can play almost every type of video imaginable, so if you’re looking for ways to apply video as wallpaper on your Windows 10 desktop, this is one of the fastest and easiest ways.
However, you will only be able to use this video as wallpaper as long as VLC is open and playing your video. This is a good method for setting temporary video wallpaper. If you want to use video wallpaper on a permanent basis, one of the other methods listed below is a better choice.
- To use a video as wallpaper using VLC, open VLC and start playing your video. Right-click the play window, then choose Video> Set As Wallpaper to apply the video as your desktop wallpaper.
- To close the video wallpaper, stop the video in the VLC player window or close VLC completely. This will bring back the default static wallpaper that you used previously.
Add YouTube and other videos with Push Video Wallpapers
If you want to use video wallpaper permanently, you will need a third party app. A good example is Push Video Wallpapers, which allows you to apply local videos, animated GIFs, or even YouTube videos as video wallpaper for your desktop.
Push Video Wallpapers includes sample videos and GIFs that you can try when you first install the app, but you can use your own videos, GIFs, or YouTube videos. You can also create playlists that let you switch between different types of content, or you can set one video to loop over and over.
- After installing Push Video Wallpapers, create a new playlist by clicking the playlist icon in the upper right corner. From the drop-down menu, click New.
- In the New Playlist window, enter a name for the new wallpaper playlist and click OK to save.
- Select a new playlist from the drop-down menu. To add a new video or GIF, click the Plus / Add icon in the lower right corner of the preferences window.
- In the selection window, find the video or GIF files. You may need to switch between video and image files in the file type dropdown menu in the lower right corner. Once you’ve selected your content, click Add to Playlist to add it to your playlist.
- To add YouTube and other network or internet videos, click the Add URL icon in the lower right corner.
- Paste the URL of your video into the Add URL window, then click Add to Playlist to add it to your playlist.
- If you would like to use a YouTube playlist for video wallpapers, click the playlist icon in the upper right corner and then select YouTube from the drop-down menu.
- In the Add YouTube Playlist window, add the URL to your YouTube playlist or video. Click Add Youtube Playlist to add the video from the playlist to your local Push Video Wallpaper playlist.
- You can manage your Push Video Wallpapers playlist using the options at the bottom of the window, with standard video playback options for play, pause, skip, etc. You can also set your playlist to repeat and shuffle selection using the options in the upper right corner.
- To hide the “Push Video Wallpapers” window, you can minimize it. You can also add it as a taskbar icon (hide it in the notification area on the taskbar) by clicking Settings> General> Taskbar icon.
Push Video Wallpapers is a great free way to turn any video or GIF into a playlist for use as video wallpaper. The only limitation for free users is the regular update reminder, which costs about $ 10 per license.
Using the Animated Desktop Backgrounds app
There are various video wallpaper apps in the Microsoft Store that you can install and use. One of the best is â€œLive Wallpaper for Desktopâ€, which, like â€œPush Video Wallpapersâ€, allows you to add your own videos and use them as live video wallpapers for your desktop.
This app only supports WMV video files in the free version and has more limited playback controls, but you can upgrade to Desktop Live Wallpapers Pro for $ 3.99.
- Once installed, Desktop Live Wallpapers will appear as an icon on the taskbar in the notification area of ??the taskbar. Double click this icon to open the settings menu.
- You will need to add a folder where the Live Wallpaper on your desktop can track videos. To add a video folder, click the Add Folder button.
- Select a folder to watch in the Browse for Folder window, then click OK to add it to the list. Any videos found will appear in the main video list and at this point they will automatically play as your desktop wallpaper.
- Desktop wallpapers load videos from this folder into your list. If you add any additional videos to this folder, click the Refresh Folder button to refresh the list.
- To change the playback settings, click the Settings tab. From here, you can change your startup options, preferred background video player, and other playback options (including mute options).
- To stop playing the video at any time, you need to right-click the icon in the taskbar and select the Pause / Play Live Wallpaper option. Alternatively, you can click Exit to close Live Wallpaper and stop playing the video, returning the wallpaper to its normal state.
Alternatives to video wallpapers for Windows 10
If you don’t want to use video as wallpaper on your Windows 10 PC, you have alternatives. Instead, you can use high-resolution 4K wallpapers on your computer, which will give you a vibrant and colorful desktop without worrying about battery life (for laptops) or resource usage with continuous video playback.
You can personalize your desktop just the way you want with millions of online images ready to be used as backgrounds to bring your desktop to life. If you’re an anime fan, you can head over to some of the best anime wallpaper sites to find your background, with similar sites available for almost every niche and interest you can think of.