Skype is a popular VoIP service that allows people to communicate by making and receiving free voice and video calls. If you’re using a Windows 10 PC or Mac laptop, chances are you have the app as it comes bundled with the operating system.
While Skype is available on your device, that doesn’t mean it’s the best service you can use for video conferencing or voice calls. Also, not all users were happy with the changes that came after Microsoft acquired Skype in 2012. Some users have even started switching to alternative services.
If you find that Skype is taking up too much space on your computer or you simply cannot use it for some reason, you may want to get rid of it. Read the instructions to uninstall Skype on Windows 10.
How to uninstall Skype on Windows 10 PC
If the Skype icon is on the taskbar, right-click it and select Quit Skype and make sure the application is not running in the background.
- If there is no Skype icon on the taskbar, right-click the taskbar, select Task Manager, and then click Skype> End Task.
- Press the Windows logo key and R to open the Run dialog box. Alternatively, you can right-click Start and select Run.
- In the Run dialog box, type appwiz.cpl and click OK or press Enter.
- Find Skype in the list, right-click it and choose Uninstall.
A quicker way to uninstall Skype in Windows 10 is to type â€œSkypeâ€ in the search bar and then click â€œUninstallâ€ from the app menu on the right. If you don’t see the Delete option, click the down arrow to expand the menu.
In the Uninstall or Change Program window, find Skype in the list, right-click it and select Uninstall. You will see a pop-up window asking: “Do you really want to completely remove Skype and all its components.” Click Yes to confirm the action and wait for the uninstallation to complete.
How to uninstall Skype on a Mac
Uninstalling Skype on a Mac laptop is as easy as on a Windows computer by following these steps:
- Right-click Skype and select Quit Skype. Click the Finder app, open the Applications folder and drag your copy of Skype to the trash.
Alternatively, you can open ~ / Library / Application Support, find the Skype folder and drag it to the trash. If you don’t see the Library folder, use the Go menu, select Go to Folder and enter ~ / Library / Application Support.
- Open Finder and enter Skype using the search function. If you find any results, please move them to the trash can. You can also open ~ / Library / Preferences or use the Go> Go to Folder menu and then enter ~ / Library / Preferences. Find com.skype.skype.plist and drag it to trash.
How to uninstall Skype for Business
Skype for Business has been replaced by Microsoft Teams, which has all the key capabilities of Skype for Business Online, plus new innovations in video, voice, and meetings.
The app is still part of the Office 365 Suite, but Microsoft is encouraging Microsoft 365 and Office 365 users to deploy Teams independently or with Skype for Business. Skype for Business Online customers will continue to use this service until the retirement date of July 31, 2021
If you want to uninstall Skype for Business on Windows 10, you can do so using Control Panel or a third-party uninstaller.
How to uninstall Skype for Business using Control Panel
How to uninstall Skype For Business using Control Panel
Note. If you have the version of Skype for Business for Microsoft 365 installed, you cannot uninstall it yourself. This is because the application is integrated with other Office applications, which means uninstalling it will remove and uninstall the rest of the Office suite.
If you are using the standalone version of Skype for Business, follow these steps to remove it from your Windows 10.
- In Skype for Business, click Tools> Options> Personal. Li>
- Uncheck the “Start application in foreground” and “Automatically start application at Windows logon” check boxes, and then click OK.
- Click File> Exit.
- Open Control Panel> Programs> Programs and Features and click Uninstall or Change a Program. Right-click Skype for Business and select Uninstall. If the app isn’t listed, it means the version you’re using is integrated with other Office apps. If you see the “Are you sure you want to uninstall Skype and all of its components” box, click Remove and then click Close when the process is complete.
To uninstall Skype for Business on Mac, sign out of the app and close the sign in page. Press Control and at the same time click the Skype icon. Select Exit to close the application. Open Finder> Applications> Skype for Business and drag it to the Trash.
Get rid of Skype immediately
If you are tired of Skype and want to stop using the service permanently, the instructions above will help you with that. However, if you still want to use Skype without installing anything, the stripped-down web version of the app offers the functionality you need to connect with your contacts. There are many alternative VoIP services that you can use, including conferencing, screen sharing, and more.
Were you able to uninstall Skype or Skype for Business by following the steps above? Share your experience with us in the comments.