When you browse the web and come across a useful resource, one way to save it for the future is to use apps like Google Keep or Evernote However, you can also use the browser’s built-in bookmarking tool.
Bookmarks are saved shortcuts that store the title, icon, and URL of a specific web page. This way, you don’t have to remember the URL, and the next time you want to go to that particular web page, you will be able to access it online through a saved bookmark.
Whether you’re using Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge, this guide explains the steps you can take to transfer bookmarks to and from all major browsers.
How to move bookmarks from & to Google Chrome
You can transfer your personal data to Google Chrome from another browser. This data includes browsing history, saved passwords, default search engine, and bookmarks.
- To move bookmarks from Chrome, open Chrome and click the menu (three dots) in the upper right corner of the browser screen. Select “Settings”.
- Under You and Google, click Import Bookmarks and Settings.
- Select the menu in the Import Bookmarks and Settings window and click the Favorites / Bookmarks field.
- Click the drop-down arrow at the top to select the browser you want to transfer bookmarks from and transfer them to Chrome.
- If you have an HTML bookmarks file, choose an option from the drop-down menu and load the file from your disk. Click Open.
Chrome will transfer the contents of the HTML file and they will appear in the bookmark manager.
To transfer bookmarks from Chrome to another browser:
- Click the menu and select Bookmarks.
- Select a bookmark manager.
- Bookmarks window will open in a new tab. Click the menu (three dots).
- Select Export Bookmarks.
- Select a destination for the HTML file and then import them into your new browser.
How to move bookmarks to and from Microsoft Edge
You can transfer your bookmarks to Microsoft Edge from another browser without using an import or export file.
- Open Microsoft Edge and click the three dots (horizontally) at the top right of the screen. Click “Settings”.
- In the Settings window, click Import Browser Data in the right pane.
- Click the drop-down arrow in the Import From box and select the browser from which you are bringing your bookmarks to Microsoft Edge.
- If you are migrating bookmarks from Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge Legacy, or Internet Explorer, select the bookmarks and click the blue Import button.
- If you are moving bookmarks from Google Chrome to Microsoft Edge, you need to select your profile, select Favorites and Bookmarks, and then click Import.
- You will receive a confirmation with the words â€œWe have transferred your dataâ€, which means that the transfer was successful.
To transfer bookmarks from Microsoft Edge to other browsers:
- Open Microsoft Edge and click Menu> Favorites> Manage Favorites.
- In the Manage Favorites window, click the menu and select Export Favorites.
- Save the HTML file in a preferred location and then export the file to another browser.
- To transfer bookmarks to Firefox, open your browser and click the three-line menu in the upper right corner of your screen. Select Library. Or click the library icon in the browser menu.
How to transfer bookmarks to and from Firefox
- To transfer your bookmarks to Firefox, open the browser and click on the three-line menu in the upper right corner of the screen. Select Library . Alternatively, click on the library icon in the browser menu.
- Click Bookmarks.
- Then click Show All Bookmarks.
- Click Import & Backup.
The dropdown menu gives you the following options:
- Backup , which backs up your bookmarks as a JSON file.
- Recover , which restores bookmarks from a saved JSON file or a previous date / time.
- Import bookmarks from HTML , which allows you to import bookmarks saved from Firefox or another browser in HTML format.
- Export Bookmarks to HTML , which allows you to save all your bookmarks in an HTML file
- Import data from another browser , which allows you to import bookmarks and other personal data from another browser.
4. Select the “Import data from another browser” option.
- In the import wizard, select the browser to which you want to transfer your Firefox bookmarks and Firefox bookmarks. The browser options available will depend on the browsers installed on your computer and those that are compatible with the Firefox import feature.
- Click Next and repeat this step depending on the number of browsers you are migrating your bookmarks from.
- In the Items to Import window, select the data you want to transfer to Firefox, in this case it will be Favorites / Bookmarks (the term used depends on the source browser and the data is available ). Click Next to start moving your bookmarks.
- When the upload process is complete, click Finish to return to the Firefox Library interface. Your bookmarks folder should now be in Firefox with all migrated sites and any other data you choose to transfer.
To transfer bookmarks to another browser, follow the same steps, but select “Export Bookmarks to HTML” in the “Import and Backup” section.
How to move bookmarks to and from Safari
When you first start using Safari and your default browser is Chrome or Firefox, you can import your bookmarks and other personal data manually or automatically. You can also import bookmarks exported from Safari and other browsers in HTML format.
To automatically transfer bookmarks from Chrome and Firefox to Safari, open Safari and select one of the following options:
- Keep imported items
- Delete imported items
- Resolve Later
- If you prefer to manually transfer your bookmarks to Safari, open Safari, choose File> Import From, and click Google Chrome or Firefox.
- Select the items you want to import and click Import.
- You can also import an HTML bookmarks file to transfer bookmarks from Chrome or Firefox to Safari. To do this, open Safari and click File> Import From> HTML Bookmarks File.
- Select the file you want to import and click Import. After the bookmarks are imported, they are saved in the Imported folder at the bottom of the sidebar.
- To transfer bookmarks from Safari to other browsers, open Safari and click File> Export Bookmarks. Li>
- Enter opera: // settings / importdata in the address bar to open Opera settings.
- In the Import Bookmarks and Settings pop-up window, select the browser containing the bookmarks you want. transfer.
- Type opera: // settings / importdata into the address search bar to open Opera settings.
- In the Import Bookmarks and Settings popup, select the browser that contains the bookmarks you want to transfer.
- Click the checkbox to select Favorites / Bookmarks. You can choose other options, such as browsing history, cookies or saved passwords, if you want them to be moved along with your bookmarks to the new browser. Click Import.
Note. If you want to import bookmarks into Safari, you need to install Chrome or Firefox on your Mac.
The exported file will be named Safari Bookmarks.html, and you can use it to transfer bookmarks to another browser.
How to move bookmarks to and from Opera Browser
You can also transfer bookmarks to Opera via an HTML file exported from another browser. Select HTML Bookmarks File from the drop-down menu and click Import to import the bookmarks file directly from another browser.
To transfer bookmarks from Opera to another browser, you can use the add-on if your browser version does not have an export tool.
Save all of your favorites
Have you managed to transfer bookmarks to and from the browser? Share with us in the comments below. If you’d like to switch from your current browser, check out our guide to alternative browsers you may not have heard of before. We also have an in-depth review of the Brave Browser if you’re looking for a privacy-focused browser.