Are you excited to try a new game on your PC? Try not to get ahead of yourself, because it is possible that the game will not work on your system or will give very low FPS (frames per second).
In this post, you will learn how to check if your computer can run the game before spending money.
First of all, it is best to manually this process. This will help you understand what components are installed on your computer.
This way, you will know how to check if your computer can run the game even if the automatic method does not work. You will also get a better understanding of what components on your system need to be updated for the game to function properly.
Check your computer’s specifications
First, let’s take a look at the hardware information. Of the many details, focus on CPU (processor) speed, RAM (installed physical memory), and GPU (graphics card) information.
- You can do this without downloading anything. Just press the Windows key, find system information and launch it.
- This is where you get information about the processor speed of your PC. If you don’t know how powerful or weak your CPU is based on information provided by Windows, you can go to a site like CPU Benchmark and enter your CPU there to see its overall rating.
- Then check the amount of RAM. Anything under 8GB would be considered low these days, especially for a desktop PC. Also, don’t worry about RAM speed, instead focus on total RAM.
- Then go to the left section. Select “Components” and expand it by clicking the plus sign next to it.
- Then select “Display”.
- Here you can find more information about your adapters and resolutions. Below you can see that the only graphics card in this computer is Intel UHD graphics built into the processor. Obviously, you need a dedicated GPU for any games.
- Another easy way to do this is to use Speccy It is a system information tool that can provide you with all the information about your computer’s hardware.
Speccy has both free and pro versions. Since you will only be using it for basic information at this point, you can download the free version.
- Download it to your computer and run the application. When this is done, you can get a lot of useful information about your computer.
- Focus on CPU, RAM, and Graphics.
Check your game system requirements
Then go to the site where you buy the game and check the system requirements. If you find it difficult to find it on the website, you can find it using Google.
- Enter the full name of the game + system requirements and press Enter.
- Once you’ve identified these requirements, it’s time to compare them to the system information we collected in the previous step. As before, your focus should be on the processor, RAM, and graphics.
- If you want to improve your gameplay, please refer to the Recommended Requirements for your game. The minimum and recommended requirements usually go next to each other. But if not, just browse it online. Again, use Google to search for them.
- There you can find information that is similar to the minimum system requirements for the game, but slightly higher. And, as with the minimum requirements information, your focus should be on the processor, RAM, and graphics.
- Just visit the Can You RUN It website.
- Find your game on the first field. In the second field, click “Can you run it”.
- After you hit the enter key, you will be presented with the requirements. This includes both minimum and recommended system requirements.
The manual way to check if your computer can run a game is simple, but requires a decent amount of technical knowledge. If you prefer to be simply told if your system is healthy or not, then you will love the method described below.
However, that’s not all! You will also see three buttons on the right. The only thing we’re really interested in is the Can You Run It button. The other two are mostly affiliate links for gaming PCs and graphics cards.
By clicking on the blue button, you can download the detection application to your computer. This is very similar to a scanning application that you download from a site like Dell, which will scan your computer and tell you which drivers need to be updated.
Likewise, this application will scan the hardware on your computer and then automatically compare it against the minimum and recommended requirements for playing.
Do you need an upgrade?
Finally, you need to decide if your computer has the characteristics to run the game or if you need to invest a little money in upgrading the core of your computer.
To help with this solution, we recommend visiting a GPU comparison site like GPUCheck Here you can select your current GPU and choose a different GPU that you might want to purchase as an upgrade.
Alternatively, select your current processor and either select an updated processor or click the Use Same Processor button to see how updating only the GPU will improve performance. Click the Compare button to see the comparison.
Finally, select the desired quality settings that you want to use in your game. The default is Ultra Quality, which is probably what most people want.
GPUCheck will give you detailed information about each GPU, including FPS, which you get for different resolutions. So, depending on the type of your monitor and whether it supports high refresh rates and 1080p / 1440p / 4K resolution, you can quickly figure out if your game will be playable or not.