How to scan a QR code on iPhone and Android.
Rapid Response (QR) codes are modern maze-like barcodes that store small amounts of data such as URLs, text, or images. You can scan the QR code and access this information, or share contact information, Wi-Fi passwords, or a link to open a website or a specified application.
QR codes are used not only for business purposes but also in social media applications. Snapchat Snapcodes are a good example, which you and your friends can use to add each other as friends instead of manually searching for friends.
If you receive a QR code or your favorite store has offers that are only available after scanning the QR code, you can easily access the information hidden behind it using your smartphone.
Whatever the reason for using a QR Code, we’ll show you how to scan a QR Code on iPhone and Android devices and read or interact with its contents.
How to Scan a QR Code on iPhone and Android
If you want to scan a QR code on iPhone or Android devices, there are various ways to do this, including using the built-in camera app or third-party QR code scanners.
The scanning process will depend on your model as smartphones and QR codes have become more common.
How to Scan a QR Code on iPhone
You can decode the information in the form of a QR code using the Camera app on iPhone or the built-in QR code reader in the Control Center.
Scan the QR code using the Camera app
- Go to your iPhone’s home screen and open the Camera app. You can also open the camera from the lock screen or from the Control Center.
- Then touch the rear camera and position the QR code so that it appears in the viewfinder.
- Your iPhone will detect and scan the QR code and then display a notification. Tap a notification to view information related to the code and follow the instructions that you find in it.
- If the notification popup does not appear, go to Settings> Camera and turn on the Scan QR Codes switch. If it turns green, the option is enabled.
Scan QR Code with Direct QR Code Reader
The built-in QR code feature is available on iPhones running iOS 11 or later. You can use it to scan a QR code faster than the Camera app.
- To do this, open the Control Center on your iPhone. On iPhone SE, iPhone 8 or earlier, swipe up from the bottom of the screen, and on iPhone X or later, swipe down from the top-right of the screen to access Control Center.
- Then click on the QR code reader, scan the received code and follow the instructions for the code.
The corresponding website or app associated with the QR code will launch automatically so you can access the information you want.
For more information on how to scan with an iPhone, read our list of the best iOS document and image scanning apps.
How to Scan a QR Code on Android
You can also scan QR codes with your Android device using the built-in camera. However, if you are using a Samsung Galaxy device, you have more options, such as using Bixby, the Gallery app, or the Samsung web browser.
Note. The instructions in this guide are for Samsung S8 + running Android OS 9.0 (Pie). Most of the steps may be similar depending on your Galaxy model.
Scan the QR code with the camera app
You can use the Camera app on your Android device to point to a QR code and instantly access contact information, geographic coordinates, text messages, or URL links.
Note. The QR Scanner feature is only available for Galaxy devices running Android 9.0 (Pie) or later.
Scan the QR code with Bixby Vision
Note. You can also open the Bixby app, select a QR code image from the gallery card, tap the Bixby Vision icon, and scan the code using the QR code feature.
Scan QR code using the App gallery
You can also use the Gallery app on your Android device to scan the QR code. This method not only works with multiple brands and models of Android devices but also comes in handy when you want to find your Wi-Fi password on your Android device.
Scan QR Code with Samsung Internet Browser
If your Samsung Galaxy device does not have Bixby Vision, you can still scan the QR code via Samsung Web Browser or Samsung Internet (Beta). The app is usually preinstalled on newer Samsung Galaxy devices, but you can download it from the Google Play Store if you’ve uninstalled it or can’t find it in the app drawer.
Note. Make sure you have the latest version of the Samsung Internet app (or beta) installed to be able to scan the QR code. You can turn on auto-update for your apps by going to Google Play Store Settings> Auto-update apps and then choose your preferred auto-update settings (over network or Wi-Fi only).
How to Scan QR Codes on Your Phone Using a Third-Party QR Code Scanner
If you cannot access the QR code scanner using any of the above methods on your iPhone or Android smartphone, you can download and install a third-party QR code scanner.
Read QR Codes Easily
QR codes are everywhere these days, but not all of them are valid. Make sure you only scan QR codes from trusted companies or sources for security reasons. Hackers can associate codes with malicious sites that look legitimate at first, but instead, collect your sensitive data when you try to enter the site.
Check your site URL before entering your credentials and protect yourself from hackers or identity theft.
Did you manage to scan the QR code on your iPhone or Android device with this guide? Let us know what worked for you by leaving a comment below.
- If the QR code reader icon does not appear in the Control Center of your iPhone, go to Settings> Control Center> Customize Controls, and then go to the Additional Controls section management “.
- Click the green + (plus) sign next to the QR code reader (or scan the QR code) to add it. You can access this feature from the Control Center at any time.
- To do this, swipe down from the top of the screen. screen and tap the QR scanner icon. This will automatically launch the Camera application.
- Frame the QR code. The QR code scanner will automatically detect, scan the code and display a pop-up notification with instructions in the code.
To do this, open the Camera app on your Android device and tap Bixby Vision.
- Then scroll down and tap the QR code scanner icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Scan the QR code and then tap the pop-up message that appears on the screen.
- If the Camera app cannot scan the QR code, please check if this setting is enabled on your device. To do this, click “More” (three dots) in the upper right corner and select “Settings”.
- Then tap the QR code switch to turn it on and try scanning the code again.
- To do this, take a screenshot or screenshot of the QR code, open it in the Gallery app, and then tap the Bixby Vision icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Then allow Bixby Vision to scan and read the code.
- Click the pop-up notification to access the information stored in the QR code.
- To scan a QR code using Samsung Internet or its beta, open the app and tap the menu icon.
- Click Settings.
- Then click “Useful Features”.
- Tap the QR code scanner switch to turn it on.
- Return to the Samsung Internet Browser home page and click the QR code scanner icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Place the QR code in the guides for the scanner to detect and scan. After that, you will be automatically redirected to the website or application.
How to scan a QR code on iPhone and Android
How to scan a QR code on iPhone and Android