How to request a refund for Xbox games and subscriptions.You might think you’re stuck with an unsuccessful purchase of an Xbox game, but that’s not necessarily the case. Microsoft allows you to return the money for the game or cancel the subscription; however, you should not abuse this system. You must have a reason for refunding Xbox games. There are rules and regulations and you may not be eligible for a refund.This article will cover everything you need to know about refunds and cancellations, whether it’s directly from your Xbox console or through your Microsoft account.
Requesting a Refund for Game and Game Purchases
The Xbox ecosystem has thousands of games, apps, DLC, subscription services, and more. But in such a complex system, there can be errors. Maybe you just bought the wrong game, or someone in your family bought the game from your account without your permission. You need a refund for many reasons and there is nothing stopping you from requesting one. But before submitting a return request, you should review Microsoft’s return policy:
- Use the account with which the purchase was made to request a refund. If someone else has access to your account, you need to make sure that it is secure and that you are familiar with all security settings. Make sure you are the only one who can log into your account and there will be no unwanted purchases in the future.
- Refunds are not guaranteed, so you need to make a request. Even if you do, Microsoft will review your issue and make an appropriate decision about whether or not to refund your money. Their comprehensive refund program is part of the “purchase experience” but Microsoft reserves the right to refuse refunds if it finds that you are abusing their system.
- Not all products in the Microsoft Store are returnable. The Xbox Take Back Program only applies to digital game content. If you want a refund on an Xbox device, you must go through a different program.
What is refundable
The following products are eligible for refunds or cancellations through the Xbox program:
- Digital Games and Xbox Game Deals. This includes bundles containing multiple games or digital products.
- Digital games, expansions and DLC.
- Unused and unused disposable digital game consumables.
- Digital pre-orders 10 days before product launch. You’ll find them in your Microsoft account’s order history.
- Gifted games and game purchases if you are the sender and not the recipient.
Please note that refunds do not apply to digital movies, TV shows, or TV app purchases. Reimbursement requests must also meet certain Microsoft criteria:
- Refund requests must be submitted within 14 days of purchase. Sometimes this period can be extended up to 30 days, especially if you are not satisfied with the license agreement or warranty conditions for the purchased product.
- You don’t have to spend a lot of time on the game you want to bring back. The exact limit is not specified and is set on a case-by-case basis.
- You must remain within your account’s authorized refund limit. Financial compensation is measured annually, but Microsoft does not disclose limits.
Finally, be patient. Refund requests may take a few days to be reviewed and approved or denied. Even if the refund request is approved, it may take several business days before the money is returned to your account.
How to Request a Refund Online
Requesting a refund for game purchases is done through Xbox Support and a web browser. This applies to any of your Xbox devices, whether it’s an Xbox One S, Xbox Series X, or Xbox Series S if it’s a digital purchase. You should review the store’s return policy if you purchased a physical copy of the game.Here’s how to request a refund online:
- Open your web browser and go to the Xbox Support refund request page.
- Make sure you’re signed in to your Xbox account.
- Go to the Request Accessibility tab. It should be in the middle of the page.
- Search for the game purchase you want to receive a refund for and check the box next to the title to select it.
- Press the Request Refund button above or below the game. The return process will begin.
- If prompted, please let Xbox Support know your reasons for requesting a refund and any additional information they may need.
- PressNext to continue.
- You will get a summary of your request. If you are satisfied with all the information it contains, select “Submit” to submit your refund request.
Note. If you can’t find the video game you want to return, remember that new purchases appear in the list within 24 hours. If you still can’t find it, you will have to use your order number and your personal information to complete the request form at this link.
Canceling an Xbox Subscription
Although Xbox has many subscription services such as Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, or Xbox Live Gold, you can cancel any of them at any time. Maybe the prices are going up and you can’t afford it, or you just want to switch to another gaming platform like PC or PlayStation.You can easily get your Xbox subscription refund on your Xbox console or on the Microsoft Xbox website. But there are some things you should be aware of.You may receive a full or partial refund, or nothing at all, depending on where you live and your subscription type. Choose from options such as “Don’t be charged on the next renewal date” or “Cancel immediately and get a refund.”The first simply turns off automatic recurring billing, but you’ll still have access to all your Xbox games and apps until the end of the billing cycle. If you choose this option, no refund is possible. The second option will cancel your subscription, deny you access to the games, and refund you all or part of the money, depending on the period of your subscription.
Canceling Your Subscription through the Xbox
Follow these simple steps to cancel your subscription through your Xbox console:
- Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the Xbox Guide.
- Go to Profile and System and select Settings.
- Go to Account located on the left side of the screen.
- Select Subscriptions. You may need to enter your Xbox PIN to access this page.
- Select the type of subscription you want to cancel. All your active subscriptions will be listed first.
- Now choose a cancel option, Turn off recurring billing or Cancel subscription.
Your subscription will be canceled immediately, but if you qualify for a refund, you may have to wait a few business days before the money is credited to your account.
Canceling Your Xbox Subscription Online
If you want to cancel your Xbox subscription through a web browser, follow these steps:
- Open your web browser and navigate to the Microsoft account services page.
- Log in to your account if you are not already logged in.
- Find the subscription you want to cancel and click the Manage button in the top right corner of the screen.
- On the next screen, look for Turn off recurring billing or Cancel subscription . Choose the one that suits you.
- Microsoft will offer you various subscription options to switch. Confirm your decision to cancel your Xbox subscription on the next screen.
- Click the button corresponding to your cancel choice, Turn off recurring billing or Unsubscribe. The options will depend on what you selected on the previous page.
That’s all. You were able to cancel your Xbox subscription without any problems.
Request a Refund Without Abusing the Process
All in all, requesting a refund for an Xbox game or subscription shouldn’t be a stressful process. With the right steps and information, you can easily request a refund. Once you have requested a refund, it may take up to 10 days for the money to appear in your account. However, if you run into any issues, you can contact Xbox Support or Microsoft who are always ready to help. While your return options may vary here and there depending on where and what you are trying to return, we hope our guide has answered your questions.
How to request a refund for Xbox games and subscriptions
How to request a refund for Xbox games and subscriptions