How to Remove Audio From Video on Windows 10.
Not every video requires audio, especially if the audio quality is poor. Loud background noise, unnecessary chatter, profanity can all reduce the quality of the ideal video, especially at home. The best way to fix this is to remove the audio entirely, leaving the video to speak for itself.
If you have iMovie installed on your Mac, you can use it to clean up the audio track quickly or use the cross-platform VLC to remove audio instead. Alternatively, you can use online services to remove the audio track for you. If you want to know how to remove audio from videos on Windows or Mac, here’s what you need to do.
How to Remove Audio From Video on Mac Using iMovie
If you’re trying to remove audio from a video on Mac, the best way to do it is to use the included iMovie app. iMovie is available for free to all Apple product owners and should automatically install on your Mac or MacBook. If not, you can download it for free from the App Store.
- First, open the iMovie app on your Mac, then select the Projects tab at the top.
- On the Projects tab, select the Create New option to create a new video editing project. Select “Movie” from the pop-up menu.
- In the My Movie project window, select the Import Media option to load a video that contains the sound you want to remove. In the Finder window that opens, locate and select the file you want to insert.
- The My Movie project window will update to display your video. Use the mouse to drag the video file to the timeline area at the bottom of the window.
- With the video uploaded to the iMovie Timeline, right-click it. From the menu, select the Mute Sound option.
- The timeline area is updated and the audio track appears as a separate timeline below the video timeline highlighted in green. To remove audio, right-click the green audio track in the timeline area, then select the Remove option.
- After removing the audio, you will need to save the video. To do this, choose File> Share> File from the menu bar.
- In the File menu window, you can change other video settings, such as video resolution and quality. When ready, select the Next option to continue.
- You will need to provide a new filename for your silent video file as well as a suitable save location. Provide them, then click “Save” to save the file.
At this point, the video (without sound) will appear in your chosen save location. You can play the video to determine if the audio has been removed, export it to another platform to share it, or transfer it to another video editor for further editing.
How to Remove Audio From Video on Windows or Mac Using VLC
If you want to remove audio from videos on Windows PC or if you are using Mac and don’t want the huge iMovie app to take up space, VLC Media Player is your best free option. VLC is not a video editor, but it does offer some basic video conversion tools to quickly remove the audio track from a video.
- To do this on Windows, you must first download and install VLC. After installation, start uninstalling by choosing Media> Convert / Save from the menu.
- In the Open Media window, select Add to add a video that contains the audio you want to remove. Once added, select the Convert / Save option.
- In the Transform window, you can make changes to the output video file. Click the settings icon in the Profile section to start deleting the audio track.
- In the profile edit window, select the Audio codec tab. From there, uncheck the Audio box. This will remove all audio from your video. Select the Save option to confirm.
- After deleting the audio track, you will return to the conversion window. Confirm where you want to save the silent video file and give it a new name by selecting the Browse option under the Destination section. When you have done this, click “Start” to begin the conversion process.
After saving, the new video file (without sound) will be available in the save location of your choice.
The steps to remove audio from videos when using VLC on Mac are slightly different.
- First, download and install VLC for Mac. Open VLC is installed and open, choose “File”> “Convert / Stream” from the menu bar.
- In the Convert and Stream window, insert a video file by choosing Open Media. After inserting the file, select “Configure” to start deleting the audio track.
- In the pop-up window, select Audio Codec, then clear the Audio check box to remove the audio track. Select “Apply” to apply the new settings.
- After deleting the audio track, select â€œSave as Fileâ€ to confirm the new filename and location to save the final silent video file. After confirmation, click “Save” to start the save process.
At this point, VLC will convert the file by removing the audio track and leaving the video intact. If you choose other video conversion settings (such as changing the video file type), they will be applied in this step.
The original video file will remain intact, allowing you to make further changes and repeat the process if desired.
Using Online Services to Remove Audio From Video
If you want to remove audio from your video without installing new software, you can use various online services to do it for you. However, one caveat: this will require uploading your video to a remote server, where a script will be run to automatically remove audio from your video.
Before doing this, you should consider some privacy aspects. Online video editing sites do not have to store your video, but this is not guaranteed. You should use online audio removal services only for videos that do not contain personal information, or for videos that you would otherwise be happy to share.
- While there are various online services for this purpose, one of the fastest and easiest to use is AudioRemover. Open the AudioRemover website and select Browse to select a video file. Once selected, select â€œUpload Videoâ€ to upload the file to the remote server.
- AudioRemover will remove the audio track immediately after the download is complete, but this may take some time depending on the file size. When finished, click the Download File link to download the silent video file to your computer. You can also choose one of the sharing options to share online using social networks or send by email. To delete a file, select the Delete file now link.
Better Video Editing on Windows and Mac
Now you know how to remove audio from videos on Windows and Mac computers, and it will be more convenient for you to improve and edit videos with bad sound. You can leave the video silent, or use a good video editor to add another audio track like a song or a recorded commentary.
If you’re new to video editing, there are plenty of video editing tips to try, from organizing your video collection from the beginning to choosing the right video editor for your PC or Mac. You just need to make sure you have a powerful PC or laptop for video editing, as this can be huge on system resources.
How to Remove Audio From Video on Windows 10
How to Remove Audio From Video on Windows 10