If you are wondering how to record audio in Windows 10, you will be glad to know that there are several methods available. Whether you need to quickly record your voice, record desktop sound from your computer, or record professional-quality voice, you can do it with two simple applications.
One app is already installed by default on Windows 10, but another app is called Audacity and can be downloaded from their website Once you have installed Audacity, you can follow the next steps in the section that suits your needs.
Record your system audio on Windows 10
If you want to record system sound on Windows 10, such as a call recording or the sound of a video playing in the background, you need Audacity.
Remember this guide will help you record all audio on Windows 10, so if you only want to record one thing, you will need to turn off all other sounds on your PC. You can also brush up on some of the Audacity basics first.
- First, open Audacity and then familiarize yourself with the controls. The red button will record, the black button will stop, and the green button will play back whatever you’ve recorded.
- In the basic playback controls, you have options to customize your audio settings. Click the first drop-down menu on the left and select Windows WASAPI. In the second box on the left, you must select your desktop audio feedback device option.
- The default option already appears in the fourth dropdown, so you just need to find the corresponding option, which also includes â€œ(loopback)â€.
- Then press the red record button and play the sound you want to record. Wait for the audio to end before pressing the black stop button to end recording. Once finished, you can cut out unnecessary blank audio at the beginning and end of the clip.
- To do this, simply click and drag an area to select it. Then press delete on your keyboard. You can zoom in and out to make the sound stand out more clearly.
- When finished, click File> Export> Export as MP3 and select a location to save your recording.
Record your own voice quickly on Windows 10
If you want to be able to quickly record voice audio in Windows 10 and don’t worry about background noise, static, or overall recording quality, you can use the built-in voice recorder app in Windows 10.
- To access it, press the Windows key on your keyboard and look for Voice Recorder. Click “Voice Recorder” when it appears in the search results.
- When it opens, press the microphone button and recording will begin. As long as you have a microphone connected and working, the Voice Recorder will record your voice.
- You can use the pause button to pause the recording halfway through without ending the file, and you can also add milestone marks that can be viewed while playing audio in the Voice Recorder application.
- If you want to find the voice recording file on your computer after recording is complete, right-click the recording in the user interface and select “Open File Location”.
- When you’re ready, open Audacity. Click the dropdown on the left and select MME.
- Make sure microphone or voice recorder is selected in the second drop-down list from the left. Then press the red button to start recording. Be silent for 10 seconds so the recording can pick up 10 seconds of background noise, then start talking.
- When you finish recording, press the black stop button. The first step to cleaning up your sound is to choose the quiet moments or the moments when you make mistakes. Listen to your recording and listen.
- If your entry has a section that you want to delete, click and drag your mouse over it to select it. Once it is selected, press the delete button on your keyboard to delete it. Don’t remove the 10 second silence at the beginning.
- Once you’ve cleared up any silence, cough, or stumbling words, you can use Audacity’s built-in sound cleaner and background static noise removal tool.
Record your own voice on Windows 10
If you want a better quality voice recording, you should use Audacity. You should also take a look at your audio setup and consider buying the best microphone and make sure background noise is minimal.
- Click and drag to select the first 10 seconds of the clip.
- Click Effect.
- Click Noise Reduction.
- Click the Get Noise Profile.
- Then press Ctrl + A to select the entire audio recording.
- Click Effect & Noise Reduction again.
- This time, click OK.
- Audacity will take time to process the noise canceling feature. Now you can hear less static and background noise when playing audio. Finally, click and drag to select the silence at the start of your recording, and click delete to remove it. To export audio, click File> Export> Export to MP3 and choose a location to save the audio.
After reading this guide, you should know how to record your own desktop sound and record professional voice with Audacity. If you need help, please leave a comment.