How to open MSG file on Windows and Mac.
There are thousands of different file types, divided into categories such as music files or document files, each with its own functions and limitations. For example, an MP3 file might be great for audio, but an AAC file is even better. However, one format that has no real competition is the .MSG file format.
If you see a .MSG file, you are probably using Microsoft Outlook, as Outlook uses MSG files to export emails and other tasks. If you don’t have Outlook on Windows, or are using Outlook on Mac, you may not be able to open it. Here’s what you need to do to open your MSG file on Windows or Mac.
What is a MSG File and Is It Safe?
The MSG file format is specific to Microsoft Outlook, which uses MSG files to export various types of content outside of Outlook itself. Typically, MSG files will contain email messages received from other users, but they can also include calendar appointments, tasks, and other Outlook items.
MSG files contain information relevant to its purpose. For emails, this can be the sender and recipient, the time and date the email was received, the subject and body of the message. If you save appointments to your calendar, the MSG file might contain the date, location, and other invited people.
MSG files are not dangerous when created in Outlook itself. Opening an MSG file that you created yourself is not dangerous, but you should be vigilant when opening files from sources you do not trust. It is unlikely that formats such as the MSG file format can contain malware.
This is especially true for exported emails with file attachments. Since you cannot evaluate attachments without opening the MSG file, you could put your computer at risk. In this case (and you open a file that you don’t trust), you need to perform a malware scan as a precaution.
How to Open MSG Files on Windows
The MSG file format is based on Outlook, so it usually requires the Outlook desktop application to open it on Windows.
- If Outlook is installed and configured on your PC, then the MSG file format should already be associated with Outlook. To open the MSG file, double-click the file on the desktop or in Windows Explorer. If Outlook is not automatically associated with MSG files, right-click the file and choose Open With.
- You can also manually copy the MSG files to your Outlook mailbox. To do this, right-click the MSG file on your desktop (or in Windows Explorer) and select Copy.
- When the Outlook window (and your Outlook mailbox) is visible and active, press Ctrl + V to paste the MSG file into your mailbox. You can now view the message in your mailbox.
If you don’t have Outlook installed, you can use a third party alternative like FreeViewer MSG Viewer. Although the interface is a bit outdated, the FreeViewer MSG Viewer should allow you to safely view the contents of any exported MSG files on Windows 10.
- To get started, download and install the FreeViewer MSG Viewer application on your PC. In the FreeViewer MSG Viewer window, select the folders containing the MSG files from the left menu. Any MSG files found will appear in the right menu.
- To open an MSG file, select it from the FreeViewer MSG Viewer list. The content of the file, including attachments and hidden header data, will become visible at the bottom.
While Outlook and third-party alternatives like FreeViewer MSG Viewer work best, you can also use online web services like Encryptomatic MSG Viewer to view data from MSG files without additional software.
However, you should only do this for non-confidential files or emails, as uploading MSG files to a server you are not aware of will expose your personal information to this website, including your email address and other messages.
How to Open MSG Files on Mac
Like Windows, macOS supports the full Microsoft Outlook client, available as a standalone application or as part of an Office suite. Unfortunately, the Mac version of Outlook does not allow you to open or export MSG files.
To open MSG files on Mac, you need to install the third-party MSG viewer from the App Store (or use an online service as described above). Although there are various applications, one of the easiest to use is MSG Viewer for Outlook. This application works by converting MSG files to open source EML format.
- First, download and install the MSG Viewer for Outlook from the App Store. After installation, launch the application from the launcher.
- With the MSG Viewer for Outlook open, you can select the client or address book application you want to open in the Open Files section. If you want to quickly preview the file, select Quick Preview or select one of the conversion options (for example, Convert to PDF) to convert the file to a different format. After all the settings are entered, choose File> Open from the menu bar.
- In a Finder window, locate and select the MSG file, then click the Open button. This will start the conversion process from MSG to open source EML format.
- The MSG Viewer for Outlook converts the file. After that, the mail application that you selected in the “Opening Files” section will open automatically, allowing you to view the file.
Opening Microsoft File Formats
The MSG file format such as DOCX and PPTX is the proprietary Microsoft file format. If you spot them in the wild, it is likely that you will need Microsoft software (or access to Microsoft services) to open them. If you don’t have access to Outlook, you can use an online service like Encryptomatic Viewer to open MSG files instead.
While Office is the best package for opening Office document files, there are alternatives. Open-source software such as LibreOffice and OpenOffice can handle many Office formats, allowing you to convert files to other open-source formats. If you don’t need the hassle, you can switch to an online service like Google Docs.
How to open.MSG file on Windows and Mac
How to open MSG file on Windows and Mac
How to open MSG file on Windows and Mac
how to open msg files on mac without outlook
open msg file online
mac msg converter free
open msg file on mac outlook 2016
convert msg to pdf mac