You’ve probably seen the QR code before. They are square, usually black, with small squares at the corners and many wavy lines or dots that make you wonder what to do with them.
What is a QR code?
QR codes are short for Quick Reply Codes. Similar to how a barcode is scanned in a store to look for pricing information, you can scan a QR code to find what is hidden behind these obscure drawings.
The only difference is that anyone can create a QR code, not just a business. There are several things you can do with a QR code.
Anyone can create a QR code and anyone can scan it. Below, we’ll take a look at why anyone needs a QR Code, how to read it, how to create your own QR Code to open images, URLs, and more.
Uses of QR Code
QR codes are visual shortcuts for more information. As you will learn below, when you create your own QR code, they can be used for several reasons, such as providing quick access to a URL so that a specific web page is opened when crawled.
QR codes can also display text or contact information, start a new text message, email, or phone call. Location information and even Wi-Fi credentials can be accessed through a QR code, among other things.
Here are a few more places where the benefits of QR codes are evident:
- Business cards can be scanned with a QR code reader, so that you will be taken to the person’s website, given their portfolio, phone number shown , social media pages, etc.
- Items such as clothing tags may point to a Facebook page or corporate website.
- Routers can use QR codes to make pairing a device with a mobile app quick and easy.
- Receipts can be printed using an automatically generated QR code to entice a customer to participate in a survey or highlight refund options.
- Mobile payment apps like Cash App use QR codes to make payments easily. payments to other users.
- Promotional emails may use a QR code to point you to a webpage with a special coupon, or a text block for small print.
- Apps and websites use QR codes for seamless login. WhatsApp Web and Messages for Web are just two examples of websites that generate QR codes that are read by their respective applications to send login information to a computer.
Anyone with access to the code just has to scan it to see what’s behind it.
How to Scan a QR Code
The easiest way to scan a QR code is with your phone. Open the camera app and focus on the QR code, whether it’s your computer or TV code, or a QR code that physically exists in front of you.
You may have to tap the QR code once for the camera to recognize that you want to read it, and then tap a pop-up window explaining what the code does.
If your camera app does not support reading QR codes, or you need a dedicated app for it, consider using QR Code Reader for Android or QR Reader for iPhone Dynamsoft barcode reader can scan QR codes from computer.
How the QR Code works
There are so many QR code generators that we just can’t list them all, so we’ll highlight a few of the best ones.
The easiest way to create a QR Code is with QRCode Monkey because it provides many options. You can select any of these tabs on this site to generate a QR code with the following information:
Here’s an example showing how to generate a QR code to compose an email:
- Open the EMAIL page in QRCode Monkey
- Enter your email address on the first line, then by subject, then by message body.
- If desired, set colors, add an image or customize the design of the QR code.
- Choose a quality setting from low, 200 Ã— 200 pixels to high quality, to 2000 Ã— 2000 pixels.
- Select Generate QR Code to view it, or Download PNG to download the QR code.
If you don’t like QRCode Monkey, you can try other QR code generators such as goqr.me, the-qrcode-generator.com, or qr-code-generator.com Some of them support unique features such as playing a song using a QR code, displaying a PDF file, allowing feedback, or displaying an image gallery.
The aforementioned QR code readers for Android and iPhone can also be used to generate QR codes.