How To Lock Apps On Your Mac.
When it comes to protecting sensitive files on Mac, there is an easy way to add password protection to your files. This feature works great for locking files and folders on your Mac. However, there are a few things it doesn’t support and it blocks your apps.
If you want to block certain applications from running on your Mac, you cannot use the standard blocking method. Plus, there is no other option on Mac to keep your apps safe from unauthorized users.
This is where two third-party blocking apps come to the rescue. These apps allow you to restrict the use of the apps you choose on your Mac. They allow you to add password protection to your apps so that your apps can only start when you enter the correct password. Both of these apps are paid, but you can use their trial versions if you don’t want to explore all the features available in them.
There are many times when you might want to block apps on Mac. You might want to lock your finance apps when you send your Mac in for repair. Or maybe you want to block your FTP applications to prevent other users from messing up your site files.
Use App Encryption to Lock Apps on the Mac
AppCrypt ($ 29.99) is a premium Mac app that lets you block both apps and websites on your computer.
The great thing about the app is that it records all the failed attempts to open your protected apps. It even takes a picture on your Mac when you fail to unlock the app.
- Go to AppCrypt website and download to your Mac. Drag the application to the Applications folder so that it appears in all application launchers.
- Click Launchpad in the Dock, find AppCrypt and click on it when it appears to launch the application.
- Because the application was downloaded from the Internet, a warning message will appear on the screen. Click “Open” to open the application anyway.
- When the application opens on your Mac for the first time, you will be prompted to set a password. This is the password that will protect your applications on your computer.
Also, do not forget to check the Launch on System Startup option so that the application starts and protects your applications every time your Mac boots. Then click “Submit” to continue.
- In the main interface of the application, you will find various options to choose from. Now that you’ve set your password, it’s time to select the apps you want to block. Click on the Add Application option at the top to add your applications.
- A Finder browser will open. Click the Applications folder in the left sidebar, find the application you want to block in the right pane, and double-click the application.
- The application you selected has been added to AppCrypt and blocked.
How to run AppCrypt-Locked on Mac
If you want to open a password protected application, you can do it as follows.
- Find your application on Launchpad and click on it when it appears.
- You will be prompted for a password. Enter your password and click Submit.
- If you entered the correct password, the application will open. Otherwise, it will prevent you from continuing and your failed attempt will be logged in the application.
How to open an app in AppCrypt on Mac
If you no longer want to password protect your app, you can unlock it in AppCrypt.
- Launch AppCrypt and enter your password to continue.
- Select the application you want to unblock from the left sidebar and click “Uninstall Application” at the top.
Your app will be immediately removed from the list and unlocked on your Mac.
Lock apps on the Mac using AppLocker
AppLocker (free with in-app purchases) is available from the official Mac App Store and lets you add password protection to apps installed on your Mac. Besides passwords, it supports Touch ID and Bluetooth ID, and it also allows you to unlock locked apps on your computer.
- Launch the Mac App Store, search for AppLocker, and install the app. on your Mac.
- Open the application you just installed and you will be prompted to set a password. Do this and continue. You will use this password to unlock locked apps on your Mac.
- Click the application icon in the menu bar and you will be prompted for a password. Enter your password and press Enter.
- Make sure Activate AppLocker is enabled in the main interface. Also, turn on the Start at Logon option so that the application starts every time your Mac boots.
To lock an application using AppLocker, click the + (plus) sign at the top to add the application.
- The next screen lists all applications installed on your computer. Click the one you want to block in the list.
The application you choose will be locked on your Mac.
- Find and run the application as usual.
- You will be prompted for a password. Enter your password and press Enter.
How to run the AppLocker-Locked app
- Find and run the app as you normally would.
- You will be asked to enter your password. Type the password and press Enter .
The locked application will start if you entered the correct password for it.
How to open an app in AppLocker on Mac
Unblocking an app with AppLocker is much easier than blocking it.
- Click the AppLocker icon in the menu bar and enter your password to continue.
- Find the application you want. to unlock, and then click the X next to the app.
It will quickly uninstall your app and unblock it for you on Mac.