How To Install Bleeding Edge iOS Features Early With Beta Profiles.
Every year Apple releases a new version of iOS and iPadOS in September. But not everyone knows that you can install beta versions of the new operating system and try all the advanced features of iOS in June.
This can be done by installing the developer beta. This usually requires an Apple Developer account. But there is a workaround that allows you to install the same iOS beta profile using a third party source. You can try the same features without paying $ 99 per year for a developer account.
What you need to know before doing this
If you plan to install the beta version of iOS (the process is the same for iPadOS
- The beta software is a preview release. -release version is intended for testing. It’s rough around the edges and buggy. The developer beta is especially buggy because it is only for software developers (public beta is for general use).
- Make sure your iOS device supports the new operating system. iOS 14 supports all iPhones, from iPhone 6s to the latest iPhone 11 Pro.
- Using the iOS beta is unsafe. Your device can be prone to crashes and you could potentially lose some data.
- This is why we strongly recommend that you create a full backup of your device on a Mac or Windows PC before starting this process.
- But don’t worry. If something goes wrong (even if the device freezes), you can restore the operating system to a previous stable version by performing a clean install using a Mac or Windows PC.
- If you have an additional device to which you can install the beta, this is the best option.
- Also keep in mind that while you can restore a previous stable operating system at any time, a beta backup cannot be restored using a previous stable operating system. This is another reason why you should back up your device right now before you start.
- Open the Beta Profiles website in the Safari web browser on your iPhone.
- Find the iOS 14 section and click the Download button.
- The website will open a new page and you will see a new popup asking if you want to allow the website to load the device profile. Here click the “Allow” button.
- The profile will be downloaded to your device. In the warning window, click Close.
How to Download an iOS Beta Profile
- Open Demo Profiles site Web at Safari web browser on your iPhone.
- Here, find the iOS 14 section, and click the Download button.
- The website will open a new page and you will see a new popup asking if you want to allow the website to download the device profile. Here, click the Allow button.
- The profile will be downloaded to your device. From the alert box, click the Close button.
How to Install an iOS Beta Profile
Now that you’ve downloaded the iOS beta profile, it’s time to install it. This process is done in the Settings app.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Then go to the General section.
- Scroll down to the bottom here and select the Profiles Option.
- Here you will find the new iOS 14 profile.
- Click on it, and then under Install Profile, click the Install button in the upper right corner.
- On the next screen, enter your password.
- Apple will now ask you to agree to their terms. Here click the “Install” button in the upper right corner.
- Confirm by clicking the “Install” button in the pop-up window.
- The profile is now installed. But to enable it, you need to restart your device. Here click the “Restart” button.
After a couple of seconds, your iPhone will restart and the profile will be activated.
How to install the new iOS beta on iPhone
The hard work is done. Now that the beta profile is installed, all you need to do is update to the latest beta from the Software Update section. If you’ve ever upgraded to a newer version of an operating system, this process should be familiar to you.
- Open the Settings app.
- Here go to the General section and select the Software Update option.
- Give it a couple of seconds to look for updates. You will see that the Settings app now offers you an update to the iOS 14 beta. Here, click the Download and Install button.
- When the download is complete, select the Install Now option.
- Wait for the installation process to complete.
After the process completes, your iPhone will reboot with the beta operating system.
How to remove a test profile from iPhone
If you have enough beta versions or are ready to upgrade to stable, you can exit beta in just a couple of taps.
- Open app preferences and select General Profiles again.
- Here select the beta profile you want to remove.
- Then click the Delete Profile button.
- On the next page, enter your device’s passcode.
- Click the “Delete” button in the pop-up window to confirm.
- Your device will need a reboot for the changes to take effect. Click the Restart button to automatically restart the device.
After the device restarts, the beta profile will be removed from your device. You will not receive any new beta updates and the current version of the software will continue to work unchanged. You will not be able to upgrade to the next version of the operating system until a stable version is released.
Enjoy the new iOS beta (months before anyone else)
Now that you’ve upgraded to beta and have an iOS beta profile, you have no choice but to take advantage of the new features before anyone else gets their hands on them.
For iOS 14, we recommend starting by adding widgets to your home screen. Then create a widget stack by adding widgets on top of each other. Swipe to the right edge of the screen and you’ll be taken directly to a new app library page. This is Apple’s implementation of the app bar that we’ve seen in Android for years.
IOS 14 has a lot of small features and changes. Let us know your favorite features in the comments below!