YouTube is one of the largest websites where you can watch videos and listen to the thousands of music tracks available on it. While the platform works fine in most cases, there are times when you might run into issues like no sound on YouTube.
If the video plays but you don’t hear any sound, there might be a problem with your system or your web browser. Fixing these elements on your computer should bring back sound in your videos, and that’s exactly what you’re going to learn today.
Make sure the sound is not turned off
While this is the most obvious solution when there is no sound on YouTube, some users have the system sound muted, resulting in no YouTube sound on your computer. You want to make sure your system can play sounds from any source. Otherwise, other apps and platforms, including YouTube, will not be able to play audio.
To fix this, all you basically have to do is press a button on your keyboard and the task will be done.
- On your keyboard, look for the mute button that mutes your system. Press the button and your computer will turn on.
- If the button doesn’t work for any reason, you can press the volume up button and it will unmute your system.
- From the video page on the YouTube website, click the speaker icon and it will unmute your video.
- If you prefer to use a keyboard shortcut, press the M key on your keyboard and the video will be muted if muted.
- If you are using Google Chrome, click on the three dots in the upper right corner and select A New Incognito window will open. Then open YouTube and play the video.
- If you are a Firefox user, click the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner and select the New Private Window option.
- Find the sound icon in the taskbar, right-click it and select the option labeled Open Volume Mixer.
- On the next screen, under Applications, you can see the volume levels for each of your applications. Make sure your browser is currently open for it to appear on this list.
- Once you find your browser, drag the volume slider all the way to the top. This increases the volume level.
- The audio in your videos should now play without problems.
- Use Cortana Search to find and open Device Manager.
- Expand the menu labeled Sound, video and game controllers.
- Find your sound card in the list, right-click it and select Update driver.
- It will ask if you provide update files or it should automatically find the required drivers. Choose the one that suits you and continue.
- After updating the drivers, restart your computer.
- Search for settings using Cortana search and open it.
- Click Update & Security on the next screen.
- Select “Troubleshoot” from the left sidebar of your screen.
- Scroll down in the right pane, click Play Sound and select Run the troubleshooter.
- Wait while he finds the problem and helps you fix it.
Make sure that you are not muting the audio
Another obvious thing that people often forget about. If you watched your previous video in silent mode, then all your future videos will be muted as well. That is, until you turn off the sound.
Use the incognito window to fix No audio on YouTube
Sound and sound problems are usually related to system configuration. However, there are times when a browser issue, like too many cache files, can also be the reason for the lack of audio on YouTube.
It is easy to fix this issue in most modern browsers as you can open the window in incognito mode. This window does not take your browsing history or cache files into account when accessing any websites.
Use another web browser on your computer
If even the incognito window does not solve the problem of no sound on YouTube, you can switch to another browser to check if the problem persists. Perhaps your browser has some underlying issues and is preventing YouTube from playing any sounds.
If you’re a Chrome user, you can switch to Firefox and try playing the video. If the video plays audio without problems, the problem is most likely in your previous browser.
You can then either wait for the developer to release an update for your current browser, or simply switch to a browser that works with YouTube forever. If you choose the second option, you shouldn’t have any problems migrating your data, as there are several ways to export browser files and transfer them to a new browser.
Increase Volume in Audio Mixer
Volume Mixer is a utility that can be launched from the taskbar and it allows you to define volume levels for each application on your computer. It’s worth checking to see if the volume level is muted in your current browser, or set to a very low level where you can’t hear anything.
Fix YouTube No Sound by Update Audio Drivers
If it’s not just YouTube and you don’t have audio issues for your entire car, you can check if your audio drivers are up to date After all, it is these sound drivers that make your computer play sounds, and you should update them if they are out of date.
Use our audio troubleshooter to fix YouTube No Audio
Windows 10 includes a number of troubleshooters to help you with various problems on your computer. One of them will help you find sound system problems on your computer, and you can use it to find and fix the above problem on your computer.
Once the audio issue is resolved, the YouTube audio issue will go away.
We would like to know which method helped you fix the YouTube no sound problem on your computer. We are waiting for your answer in the comments below.