How to fix camera in Windows 10 if don’t work.
Unless you’re the type to call Zoom and prefer to be mysterious, you’ll need a working webcam to make high-quality video calls with friends, family, and work colleagues. Windows 10 offers many built-in and third-party video calling apps (including Skype), but you need the right camera to work.
Windows 10 is perfect for making calls, but that doesn’t mean you won’t have problems with your webcam. If your Windows 10 camera isn’t working, you won’t be able to stay in touch with your important contacts.
Fortunately, there are a few things you can try to get the camera working again.
1. Verify That Your Camera Is Connected
Before looking for software patches, it’s important to remember to check if the camera hardware is connected. If you are using a USB camera, make sure the cable is securely connected to the USB port. If so, try switching USB ports to see if that fixes the problem.
- Click the Action Center icon in the lower-right corner of the taskbar. From there, select the Bluetooth card to enable Bluetooth, then right-click and select “Go to Settings” to quickly access the Bluetooth settings menu.
- The Bluetooth camera must be listed in the menu. If not, select Add Bluetooth or Other Device to pair the camera with your computer and follow the onscreen instructions. After pairing, your camera will be available in the application of your choice.
By default, the built-in cameras are ready to use (unless privacy settings are locked). You can see for yourself by opening the preinstalled Window 10 Camera application, which can be found in the Start menu.
If the app is showing a feed from your camera, you can use it with other services such as Zoom. If it doesn’t, you will need to investigate further by following these steps.
2. Check the Lens
When the camera lens is locked, it may appear that your camera is not working. A common way to privacy-and-security/”>protect your privacy is to stick a sticker or other obstruction to your camera lens (especially if you’re using the built-in camera on your laptop).
It is impossible to verify this without visually checking the lens itself – the camera image in your camera or calling application will just be black. If there is an obstruction or sticker in place, remove it.
If only an obstruction is preventing your camera from appearing, that should fix the problem. However, there are other privacy options available in Windows 10, so you’ll need to explore them next time.
3. Configure Windows Camera Privacy Settings
It’s important to privacy-and-security/”>protect your privacy, especially when it comes to camera and microphone feeds. Thankfully, Microsoft is taking it a step further by offering easy-to-use privacy settings to block unnecessary camera and microphone use in Windows 10.
However, if these settings are active, you will not be able to use your camera in third-party apps or services (or with other Microsoft apps). You can configure these settings and enable camera access in the Windows settings menu.
- To get started, right-click the Start menu and select the Settings option.
- From the Windows Settings menu, select Privacy> Camera. To enable camera access, click the Change button under Allow camera access on this device, and then select a slider from the pop-up menu to enable it.
- You also need to grant apps access to the camera by selecting the Allow apps to access the camera slider below and making sure it is in the On position.
- To share your camera with apps from the Microsoft Store, scroll down to the “Choose which apps from the Microsoft Store can access your slider” section. From here, select the slider next to the app in the list to grant access to the camera.
Some applications, such as your web browser, can also be configured to block access to the camera for added privacy. In this case, you will need to allow the browser to access the camera.
4. Close Other Camera Apps and Try Alternatives
Most users will find that when a camera is discovered and works in the built-in Windows 10 camera app, it should be available in any other camera or web calling app you have installed. However, this is not always the case, as unknown errors and application conflicts sometimes prevent you from using the camera.
If you have two open applications trying to use the camera, you may find that the camera feed is blocked in one of them. Before you start, make sure that only the app you are trying to use is open and that it has access to the camera feed.
If the camera works, but the application you selected still doesn’t work, you may need to try another one. This will help you determine if the problem is software or hardware. For example, if the Windows 10 Camera app is working but the video calling app is not, the problem is most likely with the app, not the hardware.
5. Restarting Devices in Device Manager
In PC maintenance, it is generally accepted that turning the device on and off often solves a difficult problem to diagnose. If your Windows 10 camera is not working, you can force restart it by disabling and re-enabling it in the Device Manager menu.
6. Install Windows System and Driver Updates
Microsoft regularly releases new system updates for Windows, offering new features and bug fixes. The Windows 10 camera issue may be caused by a previously unknown error, so installing updates might fix the issue.
Likewise, device manufacturers often release new driver updates that help resolve issues between the hardware (camera) and software (Windows itself, as well as any installed camera applications). You can install new drivers and system updates using Windows Update.
If you have a new device, supported drivers may not be available through Windows Update. In this case, check the user manual and search the manufacturer’s website to download and install the appropriate drivers.
Fixing Windows 10 Camera Issues
If your Windows 10 camera isn’t working, these steps should (in most cases) fix the problem. If it doesn’t, you may need to try a new camera or explore alternative hangouts.
For example, you can try the Facebook portal to receive calls in front of your TV, or if you are also a Mac, iPhone or iPad user, you might consider making group calls using FaceTime. However, Mac owners need to make sure the built-in Mac camera is working first.
- If you want standard desktop applications to access your camera, scroll down to Allow desktop applications to access your camera, then move the slider to On.
- Right-click the Start icon to access the Device Manager menu. and select “Device Manager”.
- In the Device Manager menu, find the camera listed under the Cameras category. If you are using a Bluetooth camera, you can find it in the Bluetooth category. When you find your camera, right-click it and select Properties.
- From the Properties menu, select the Driver tab, then select the Disable Device option. Windows will ask you for confirmation, so select Yes to do this.
- Once disabled, select the Enable Device option from the same menu to enable the camera again.
- To access Windows Update, right-click the Start menu and select the Settings option.
- From the Settings menu, select Update & Security> Windows Update. Select Check for Updates to search for new system and driver updates and allow the Windows update process to begin downloading and installing them. If a feature update is available, select “Download and Install” to get started.
How to fix camera in Windows 10 if don’t work
How to fix camera in Windows 10 if don’t work
- laptop camera not working windows 10windows 10 camera driver download
windows 10 camera not working
can’t find camera in device manager windows 10
camera not working windows 10 – quick fix
how to reinstall camera on windows 10
install camera driver windows 10
install camera windows 10