How to find MAC address on Windows or Mac.
Any device that connects to a Wi-Fi network must identify itself to the network using a unique network address. This unique identifier, known as a Media Access Control (MAC) address, helps network administrators or observers track or profile each user’s network activity and location over time.
While most of the time you may not have to worry about the MAC address of your device, there are times when you need to know the MAC address of a network adapter. This way you can identify the device or configure network permissions on your router.
Whatever the reasons you need a MAC address, we’ll show you several ways to do it on both Mac and PC.
What is a MAC Address?
The MAC address is a unique 17-digit character (00: 1A: C2: 9B: 00: 68, for example) that serves as a hardware identifier built into your computer’s network interface controller (NIC) card.
A unique identifier is assigned by the device manufacturer and is permanently associated with your device. This allows you to establish a connection between devices on the local network.
There are two main types of MAC addresses: a universally administered address (UAA) and a locally administered address (LAA).
UAA is the more popular type that is assigned by the device manufacturer, while LAA changes the MAC address of your adapter. You can assign LAA to your network device and it will override the address assigned by the manufacturer.
Your device’s MAC address is sometimes confused with an IP address, although both are used to identify your device on the Internet, there are some significant differences.
MAC addresses are permanently assigned by the device manufacturer to distinguish your computer from others and cannot be changed. IP addresses handle a logical, routed connection from your devices and networks, and can change based on location.
The MAC address of your device is used on your local network, and the IP address can be used worldwide to identify network devices.
How to Find a MAC Address On Your PC or Mac
There are several reasons why you need to determine the MAC address of your device, including for:
- to track your device.
- Prevent unwanted network access.
- Find recipients or senders online.
- Service your device. Often you will need to provide your MAC address.
- Spoof another device’s credentials when registering a home gateway device with an Internet service provider.
How to find the MAC address on a Windows 10 PC
You can find MAC addresses on your Windows 10 PC through Settings, Control Panel, System Information, Command Prompt, and PowerShell.
How to find the MAC address on your PC using settings
- To do this, select Start> Settings> Network and Internet.
- Select Ethernet or Wi-Fi depending on your network connection.
- Select Hardware Properties under your connection.
- Check the MAC address of your PC in the Properties section.
How to find the MAC address on your PC using the Control Panel
- To do this, open Control Panel> Network and Internet.
- Select Network and Sharing Center.
- Then select Change Adapter Settings.
- Double click Ethernet or WiFi depending on your connection.
- Double-click Wi-Fi and select More.
Check your MAC address next to the Physical Address.
How to find the MAC address on your PC using the command line
Note. If you want to clearly see the MAC information of the active network adapters, type getmac / v and press Enter.
How to find the MAC address on your PC using Windows PowerShell
How to find the MAC address on your PC using system information
- To do this, enter CMD in the search field and select Command Prompt> Run as administrator.
- Type ipconfig / all and press Enter. You will see MAC addresses for every network card installed on your PC, as well as MAC addresses that are not associated with hardware cards.
- Check the MAC address in the Physical Address field.
- To do this, right-click Start> Windows PowerShell.
- Type the Get-NetAdapter command and press Enter.
- Check the MAC address of the network adapter. You will see a list of all the network adapters configured on your computer with their MAC addresses.
Finding the MAC address on your Mac
Know Your Computerâ€™s MAC Address
We hope you were able to find the MAC address of your Windows 10 PC or Mac. Learn more about how MAC addresses work in our guides on how to change or spoof your MAC address, and how to find your IP address from your MAC address.
- To do this, enter the system information in the search bar and select it from the search results.
- Then expand the Components section and select the Networking section.
- Select “Adapter”, navigate to your network adapter and confirm the MAC address of your computer.
- To find the MAC address on your Mac, choose Menu> System Preferences> Network.
- Select “Advanced”.
- Check the MAC address under Information or Custom / Advanced for a Mac running Open Transport, or under the Ethernet icon if your Mac is running MacTCP. You can also select the WiFi tab to see the MAC address under the WiFi address or airport address.
How to find MAC address on Windows or Mac
How to find the MAC address on Windows or Mac
TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7) – Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router for Home, Works with Alexa, VPN Server, Parental Control, and QoS.
- JD Power Award —Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Router for wireless internet works with Alexa, compatible with all Wi-Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Dual-band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high-speed internet(450mbps for 2.4GHz, 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering and ideal for 4K streaming
- 3 external antennas for long-range Wi-Fi
- Gigabit Router with 4 Gigabit LAN ports, fast access to multiple connected wired devices, ideal as a gaming router
- Integrated USB port acts as a Media Server, easily share your USB drive content
- TP-Link Tether app easily set up and remotely manage your home network
- Industry-leading 2 years and Free 24-7 technical Support