If you are a WhatsApp user, you probably know what the status function in the app is. On this tab, you see texts, photos and videos posted by your contacts in the form of statuses.
It works in much the same way as Instagram’s Story feature, in which you add a status made up of text, photos and videos that lasts up to 24 hours.
If you use this feature a lot, you will probably want to sometimes download some of the photos and videos that people post to their WhatsApp statuses. Unfortunately, WhatsApp does not allow you to download any of these temporary status updates for your contacts by default. There is simply no way to do this in the application.
However, there are several ways on the internet to allow you to download these restricted photos and videos from your contacts’ WhatsApp statuses.
Download WhatsApp status photos and videos from hidden folder
By default, this feature downloads photos and videos from your contacts’ statuses to your device. What you see in the app is actually content that is stored in your phone’s memory.
If you could somehow access this location on your device, you could easily expand all of the status files to use them for other purposes.
WhatsApp actually hid this status folder on your device so you can’t access it. However, there is a workaround: show the folder and access all the content available in it.
- Go to the Google Play Store, download and install the Files by Google app on your device. The reason we ask you to use this app is to follow the steps that are common to all Android devices.
- Launch the application on your device, click on the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner, and select “Settings”.
- When the settings menu opens, one of the options on your screen will be â€œShow hidden filesâ€. Set the switch for this option to ON to enable it.
- Return to the main interface of the application. Click on the “Browse” option at the bottom and then select “Internal Storage” on the next screen.
- Find the folder named WhatsApp on the next screen and open it.
- Click on the “Media” folder on the next screen.
- You will find a folder named .Statuses. This is a hidden folder where your statuses are saved. Click on it to open it.
- The next screen will list all the WhatsApp statuses available for your account. If you want to copy something from here to another folder, press and hold the desired status, click on the three dots in the upper right corner and select “Copy to”.
- Go to the folder where you want to save the selected WhatsApp status. Once there, click “Copy Here” to copy the status.
The WhatsApp statuses you have selected will be copied to the directory of your choice and you can access them from there using any file management application on your device.
Now that the status is copied, even if the user deletes the status or the 24 hour period passes, you can still access its status on your device.
Use Status Saver to download WhatsApp Status photos and videos
If enabling the hidden folders option and manually downloading status seems too difficult for you, you have the option of using a third-party app to easily download statuses to your device.
Log into Status Saver, a free app on the Google Play store that lets you download WhatsApp statuses to your Android device with just a few taps. You don’t even need to open WhatsApp on your device as it automatically downloads WhatsApp statuses to the app and then lets you view and save them.
- Download, install and run Status Saver on your device.
- Allow the application to access files and folders in your repository.
- In the main interface of the application, you will find two tabs at the top – images and videos.
As you’ve obviously guessed from their names, you can click on images to view WhatsApp image statuses and videos to view WhatsApp video statuses.
- As soon as you click on an element, it will be displayed full screen on your device. To save an item to the gallery, click the + (plus) sign in the lower right corner and select Save.
- It will save the item to your gallery and notify you when the save is complete.
You can now use the Gallery app to view your downloaded photos and videos from WhatsApp statuses. These files now look like regular files that you have on your device.
Take a screenshot to save photos from WhatsApp status
If you want to download just a status photo, you can use the screenshot function on your device to save the photo to your phone.
Please note that this procedure will not upload a full resolution photo. It only captures your current screen where the photo is displayed.
- Open the WhatsApp status where the photo you want to download is located.
- Press the volume down button and the power button at the same time to take a screenshot.
If the shortcut for taking a screenshot is not suitable for you, chances are there is another shortcut on your phone for this task. There are actually several ways to take screenshots on Android devices and you can use one of them to accomplish your task.
Screen recording to save videos from WhatsApp status
WhatsApp status screenshot not working for video. In this case, you need a screen recorder.
- Download and install ScreenCam on your device.
- Run the application and give it the required permissions.
- Enable the Enable Destination Application option. Then click “Select Application” and select WhatsApp from the list.
- Click the oval recording button in the lower right corner to start recording.
- WhatsApp will start automatically and you will need to open the status of the video you want to download in order for it to be recorded using the application.
The status you selected should now be available as a screen-recorded video on your Android device.