How to Digitize DVDs 2021.
Now that streaming services are becoming the most common way to watch movies or TV shows, many people are ditching their DVD collections. However, if you have many movies that you want to keep but still free up the space occupied by your DVDs, you can digitize the DVDs.
By digitizing your DVDs, you can store them all in one place while taking up less physical space. Digitizing movies can seem like a daunting task and you might not know how to do it, but if you know how to do it, it’s relatively easy to do for each one. Just make sure you have enough time, especially if you have a lot of DVDs that you want to digitize.
Here’s how to convert your physical DVD library to digital.
Use a Program to Digitize DVDs
To digitize DVD movies, you need a DVD ripping software. There are many options that you can use to do this. In this article, we will show you how to use two options: WinX DVD Ripper and Handbrake.
WinX DVD Ripper
Download WinX DVD Ripper and open it when you’re ready to start ripping (ripping) DVDs.
Follow these steps to use WinX DVD Ripper on your DVDs:
- Insert the DVD into your computer and then click the Disc button in the upper left corner.
- Select the DVD you just inserted from the drop-down list in the next window that opens. Then select OK.
- Select the format in which the output file should be. MP4 is recommended in most cases. Click OK again.
- Click the big RUN button in the lower right corner and the program will start ripping your DVD.
It may take a while to digitize your DVD, but you can follow the process by looking at the pop-up window. When finished, you should be able to find the copied file in File Explorer. At the bottom of WinX DVD ripper you will see a text box where you can choose where you want to save the file. You will find the copied file here.
If you want a completely free DVD ripping option, you can use Handbrake. It works very similarly to WinX DVD Ripper, although it might seem a little tricky to use. The program does not support removing copy protection, which is found in almost all commercial videos. However, there is a workaround.
Follow these instructions to use Handbrake and once you get the hang of it, you should be able to digitize all your DVDs with no problem.
- Before using Handbrake, you need to load libdvdcss in order. to be able to remove copy protection. Once downloaded, copy the file and paste it into the Handbrake directory folder. Most likely it will be C: / Program Files / Handbrake.
- Now insert the DVD into your computer and open Handbrake. Select the DVD in your drive from the sidebar.
- In the next window that opens, look at the Title drop-down list. Here you can choose which part of the DVD you want to rip. Handbrake should automatically select only part of the movie, but you can also include other parts of the DVD, such as additional scenes.
- Select the destination file where you want to save the copied DVD.
- Then select the output format settings. MP4 is fine for most purposes. Then you can choose to preset the quality of your file. There are presets depending on how you will be watching the movie, and you can choose either Fast or Very Fast to make your DVDs rip in less time, but with lower quality. HQ settings will be much better, but copying them will take longer and take up more space.
- Click “Start Encoding” on the top panel of Handbrake to start digitizing the DVD. You will see progress in the bottom bar. This process may take some time depending on the settings you choose.
When the copy is complete, you should be able to find it where you selected the target file.
Find a Place to Save Your DVDs
All My Movies and Plex are good examples of these programs. However, there are many and most of them work the same way. You can upload your files to the program and they will automatically archive and catalog them.
If you have a large number of digital films after digitizing your collection, using a program like this is a good option. You can also transfer some of your files to a cloud service, especially if your collection takes up a lot of space on your computer.
Use Vudu and Movies Anywhere
If you don’t want to waste time digitizing your movie collection to DVD, there is another option that takes much less time. The Vudu streaming service offers a way to digitize the digital movies they support for $ 2 each.
All you have to do is scan the barcode of your movie and Vudu will provide you with a digital version of this step if it is in their database. It’s not free, but it can save you a lot of time.
Once you use Vudu to get these digital versions of your movies, you can connect your Vudu account to your Movies Anywhere account to keep a library of all your movies together. Movies Anywhere can also download movies from other streaming services like Amazon Prime
Digitizing Your DVD Collection Is Easy
Regardless of which method you choose, you will find that you have a variety of options to meet any goal of creating a great movie library. In no time, you’ll be able to organize, find and watch your favorite movies from anywhere, anytime, without the limitation of physical DVDs.
How to Digitize DVDs 2021
How to Digitize DVDs 2021