YouTube is one of the most popular platforms with billions of videos, from funny cat videos to vlogs, movie trailers and music videos, uploaded and shared by users since its inception.
If you’ve accumulated a lot of videos in your browsing history and just want to delete all your actions and comments that you don’t want to be contacted anymore, or you’re just tired of YouTube’s recommendations, you can delete your YouTube account and everything in it in one fell swoop.
The good news is that it is not tied to other Google services like Gmail, Google Drive, Hangouts, Google Meet and others. Also, it will not delete your Google account, but it will delete all videos you may have purchased and any other videos on your channel.
If your YouTube account is permanently done away with, follow the instructions to learn how to delete your YouTube account using your YouTube browser or mobile app. We will also take care of any consequences associated with the permanent removal of your account from the platform.
How to delete your YouTube account in a browser
You can delete your YouTube account with all your videos and other data in your web browser. To do this:
- Visit YouTube.com and sign in to your YouTube account. Click your account icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click Settings.
- Then go to the Google Account section and click View or Change Google Account Settings.
- Under Privacy & Personalization, click Manage Data & Personalization.
- Scroll down to the Upload, Remove or Plan Your Data section and click Remove Service or Your Account.
- Under Remove Google Service, click Remove Service.
- Log in again to make sure it’s you.
- If you would like to download and save all your data before completely deleting your YouTube account, you can select the Download Data option. Check or uncheck the box from the list of Google services you need to download the data and select the file type and delivery method.
- Click the Delete / Trash icon next to YouTube. You may receive a request to log in again for verification.
- To delete your YouTube account and all content on it, click I want to permanently delete my content. To confirm to Google that you understand what is being deleted, select the appropriate checkbox and click Delete My Content.
How to delete a YouTube account in the YouTube mobile app
To delete your YouTube account in the YouTube mobile app:
- Open the YouTube app on your mobile device and tap the user account icon at the top right of the screen.
- Click “Manage Google Account”.
- Then click Privacy & Personalization> Manage Your Data & Personalization.
- Scroll down to the Upload, Remove, or Plan Data section and click Remove Service or My Account.
- Click Remove Service under Remove Google Service. Sign in to your account to make sure you delete it.
- Click the trash can next to YouTube and sign back in to make sure it’s you.
- If you are sure you want to delete your YouTube account and all of its content, click I want to permanently delete my content.
- Check the box to confirm that you understand what is being deleted and click the blue Delete My Content button at the bottom of the screen.
Note. After confirming the action, you cannot undo the deletion. Deleting your account does not mean that you will not be able to continue using YouTube for your own pleasure, because you do not need to have an account to use its services.
It simply cleans up your online presence by removing that content. You can still comment on other videos, subscribe to other channels, save videos to a Youtube playlist or Watch Later section, share, and more, because your YouTube account is still linked to your account Google.
How to hide / remove YouTube channel
How to hide / delete a YouTube channel
If you are unsure if you are ready to delete your YouTube account, you can hide or delete your YouTube channel instead, and your content and YouTube activities will be closed without deleting everything. To delete a YouTube channel, open YouTube in a browser on your computer or mobile device and sign in to your account.
Note. You can only remove a YouTube channel from the web, not from the mobile app.
- Click or tap your account icon in the upper right corner of the screen and click / tap Settings. Go to the Channel Status & Features section to access the settings for the YouTube channel you want to remove if you have multiple channels. If you want to switch to another, click â€œChange accountâ€, select the desired channel and follow the same steps as above to go to the channel settings.
- Select “More Settings” from the menu on the left panel to open a page with all your channel settings.
- Just below the advanced settings page, you will see the “Delete channel” link. Click on it and then sign in to your account to make sure it’s you. This action will not affect your Google account, Gmail, Google Drive, or other Google products, or existing feeds associated with the feed you are deleting.
- Sign in to confirm that you are deleting your channel and then select I want to permanently delete my content, which will permanently delete your playlists and videos.
- If you want to hide your channel instead of completely deleting it, information such as your channel page, likes, followers, images and icon will remain unhidden and the channel will be set as private. To do this, select the “I want to hide my content” option, check all the appropriate boxes to confirm to Google that you understand what you are doing, and click / tap the “Hide my content” button.
- Go back to YouTube in your browser, sign in to your account and check if the channel has been deleted by clicking or tapping on the user account icon at the top right of the screen. If you have multiple channels, the one you just deleted will not appear in the list.
To see a list of the channels associated with your Google account, go to Settings> View All My Channels, or create a new channel.
Note. As long as you have a Google account, you will still have a YouTube account, even if you delete content and data on your channel. The only difference is that the channel will not have content or any trace of your previous activity on the platform.
If you want to completely remove everything from Google services and related products, you can delete your entire Google account, although this is not recommended if you still want to use Google services such as Gmail, Drive, Docs, and more.
Clear Watch History
If you followed the steps above to delete your YouTube account, it is now permanently removed from the platform. We have other helpful guides if you want to log out of many other social networks like Facebook or Instagram Check out our guide to deleting your Gmail account or watch our YouTube channel after following our tips for deleting your account from the site.