Reddit is a social sharing site with millions of monthly active users who visit the platform to collect links, comment or vote on links and share them with others.
If you’ve just joined Reddit, it may take a while to get your head around the site. Sometimes other Redditors can be harsh or inhospitable, especially to the uninitiated, and you may end up feeling like you’ve left the platform altogether.
Why should you delete your Reddit account
Like Facebook, Snapchat, and other social media platforms, Reddit is no stranger to controversy. The site has been implicated in some privacy and security issues that have led users to question whether their data could be manipulated or passed on to third parties.
There have been other privacy incidents that have exposed Reddit vulnerabilities, including ad tracking and default personalization. Redditors not familiar with this setting are unlikely to give it up, which could put their data at risk of being passed on to third parties.
Deactivation vs. deleting Reddit Account
When you delete your Reddit account, it disappears forever along with your Reddit username. Neither you nor anyone else can reuse your username after it disappears, meaning it will never appear on the site even if you register a new Reddit account.
To make matters worse, you will lose all your favorite links and will not be able to recover or recover your account. The account deletion process is instant and irreversible, and there is no grace period for deleting a Reddit profile.
If you posted comments on Reddit but did not delete them individually before deleting your account, the comments will still be visible, but your authorship will show as [deleted].
Other platforms like Google, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat allow you to upload your data, but Reddit does not have an automatic function to retrieve your data. Instead, you need to contact Reddit and request a download of your data.
How to delete a Reddit account
If you’re sure you want to permanently delete your Reddit profile, here’s how to do it.
Deleting a Reddit account from your desktop
- Open Reddit in your browser, sign in to the account you want to delete, and click the arrow in the upper right corner next to your name user. In the “My Content” section, select “User Preferences”.
- On the User Settings page, go to the Account tab and select Deactivate Account at the bottom of the page.
- A popup will appear with information about deactivating your Reddit account. You may be asked to create a Reddit password first. Click Continue.
- After resetting your password, go back to the User Settings> Accounts tab and click Deactivate Account. You will see a popup with alternative options to delete your account and a warning about your content on the platform. There is also a field where you can leave feedback (optional) and enter your username and password.
- Enter your username and password to continue deleting your Reddit account. Click I understand that deactivated accounts cannot be recovered.
- Click Deactivate.
- Another pop-up will appear asking you to confirm if you really want to deactivate your Reddit account and that your action is irreversible. If you are sure you want to complete the account deletion process, click “Deactivate”.
- The process of deleting your account will begin and once completed, you will be redirected back to the Reddit login page.
Your Reddit account has now been permanently deleted. You can verify that it was closed by trying to log in with your old username and password. If you see an error stating that you entered an incorrect username or password, the deletion was successful. If not, repeat the above steps again.
Note. You cannot delete a Reddit account from the official Reddit mobile app. However, you can open your browser on a mobile device, log into your Reddit account and follow the same steps to delete your account mentioned above.
Leave Reddit Forever