If your password is not strong, your system is at risk. Rather than relying on legacy security, Microsoft is leading the way with the release of Windows 10 May 2019 Update, which adds support for completely passwordless logins.
Earlier we talked about how to use Windows without a password, but logging in without a password is not about that. Passwordless login without password allows you to log in using alternative security methods. To use this feature, you need to make sure you have Windows 10 version 1903 installed.
Create a password-less login on Windows 10
If you have Windows 10 version 1903 installed, you can create a passwordless user account using your mobile phone number. Unfortunately, you cannot convert an existing user account to this passwordless login type, although other passwordless login types are available for Windows 10.
Creating a passwordless user account only seems to work on Windows 10 Home, but not on other versions of Windows 10 at this time. You can still create a Microsoft account using just your mobile number, but you may need to add a password to your account first.
Once you do this, you can use another login form without a password. To do this, go to the “Available passwordless login methods for existing user accounts” section.
- First, you need to go to the Windows 10 Accounts Settings area. Right-click the Windows Start Menu button and select Settings.
- From the Windows Settings menu, click Accounts.
- On the left sidebar of the Accounts menu, click Family & Others.
- Under Family & Others, click Add someone else to this PC.
- If you want to create a passwordless login, in the Microsoft login menu that appears, enter your phone number and click Next. If your number is not linked to an account, you will need to click the “Register for a new” button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to create an account.
Once your account is associated with your Windows 10 installation, you can log in without a password using SMS, the Microsoft Authenticator app, or one of the methods mentioned below.
Ways to log into Windows without a password for existing user accounts
If you are already signed in to a Windows user account, you can change your sign-in settings to bypass the password completely.
Windows 10 lets you sign in with a PIN, USB security key, picture passcode where you choose your favorite sign-in picture, or using your face (similar to Apple’s Face ID).
You will still need to use a password from time to time if you need to change your login method or access your account settings. If you have two-factor authentication enabled, you also need a phone (with SMS or Microsoft Authenticator app).
Some methods, such as fingerprint or face login, also require you to have a fingerprint reader or a suitable webcam on your computer.
To start changing the passwordless login method:
- As above, go to the Windows 10 Account Settings area.
- Right-click the Windows Start Menu button , select Settings, then Accounts. From here, click Login Options in the side menu.
- Select your preferred login option. For example, if you want to use a PIN instead of a password, click Windows Hello PIN and then click Add. If your device has a fingerprint reader, you can choose Windows Hello Fingerprint.
- Follow the instructions for each parameter. Press Windows Key + L to lock the screen and test new login methods.
Locking and Unlocking Without Password
You can also set your computer to automatically lock and unlock your computer without using a password or any of the above login methods. This is useful if you are moving back and forth from your computer to a public place, or if you do not want to continue using your computer’s security system while the computer is locked.
You need to connect your computer to the corresponding device using Bluetooth.
- In the login options menu, under the various login options, you will see a dynamic lock option. Check the box next to Allow Windows to automatically lock my device when you’re not at home.
- For this to work, you need to turn on Bluetooth. Click Search for device if it is already associated with your â€œunlock deviceâ€, such as a smartphone. If your computer is not paired with your “unlock device”, click on “Bluetooth and other devices.”
- Make sure that Bluetooth is turned on on your â€œunlock deviceâ€ and that both devices are discoverable. Click Add Bluetooth or other device to start pairing.
- Click Bluetooth in the Add Device list.
Once your device is paired with your “unlocking device”, your computer will automatically unlock when it is in Bluetooth range, or unlock when it is out of Bluetooth range, enhancing the security of your PC as a whole.
Use passwordless logins in Window 10
You can also bypass your Windows 10 password if you end up forgetting it, but this is not the best method since it leaves your computer unprotected.
If you switch to one of these methods without a password, you don’t have to worry about forgetting your password in the future. Instead, you can use your biometrics, SMS, or a separate USB security key to log into your Windows 10 computer.