A PDF is a convenient way to distribute a document so that all parties can access and see it the same way on any screen. It is easy to create a PDF file from a source Word, Excel or PowerPoint document, or from an image.
There are several different ways to convert a Word document to PDF and password protect the document to ensure that only those with the password can access it. Converting Word to PDF takes only a few seconds and we will show you various methods that you can use to do this.
How to convert Word to PDF with Microsoft Word
If your computer is running Microsoft Word 2007 or later, you can convert a Word document to PDF directly using the built-in software features with just a few clicks.
- To do this, open the Word document you want to convert to PDF and click File> Save As.
- Click the Save as type drop-down menu in the Save As dialog and select PDF.
- Give your document a title, if you don’t already have one, select the location where you want to save the PDF and click Save.
How to convert Word to PDF using the print function
Windows 10’s printing feature works with any program you use on your computer, as long as that program supports printing. If you are using Windows 10, you can convert a Word document to PDF using the Microsoft Print to PDF feature.
- To use the Microsoft Print to PDF feature, open the file in Word and then click File> Print or press CTRL + P.
- In the Print window, click the drop-down menu under the Printer heading and select the Microsoft Print to PDF option.
- Select any other options you want, such as the number of pages to print. Your Word document will be printed in PDF format, which means that the printout will be created as a PDF file. Name the document, choose a location to save it, and then save the PDF.
Note. Another alternative to converting Word document to PDF is to use the PDF conversion function in Google Chrome browser. This feature works with files on the Internet on any device that you use the Chrome browser on. To use this feature in Chrome, open the Print option and select Print to PDF.
Using Microsoft Print to PDF to convert a Word document to PDF has some disadvantages. First, it only works on Windows 10, so you need to update if you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8.
– / –
Use the export option to convert Word to PDF
Word has an export function that allows you to convert a Word document to PDF.
- Open the Word document you want to convert to PDF and choose File> Save & Send.
- Click Create PDF / XPS Document.
- Then click the Create PDF / XPS Document button.
- Give your PDF a title, choose where you want to save it, and click Publish.
- To convert Word to PDF using Adobe Acrobat, open Adobe Acrobat and click Create PDF.
- Click Select File in the right pane.
- Select the file to convert.
- Select a folder to save the file, give it a name and click “Save”.
- If you are using a Mac, click Create and Share Adobe PDF and select a folder for the exported file. Alternatively, you can click Choose another folder, navigate to the folder where you want to save the file, give it a name, and click Save.
- To convert a Word document to PDF on a Mac, open the document you want to convert in Pages and click File> Print.
- In the new menu, click PDF in the lower left corner.
- On the next menu, click “Save as PDF” from the drop-down menu in the lower left corner.
- The Save As dialog box will open. Name your document, choose a location to save it, and add any other information you need. Click Save.
How to convert Word to PDF using Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Acrobat is a suite of applications that lets you create, view, manipulate, print, and manage PDF files. It includes applications such as Adobe Acrobat Reader and Acrobat DC, which are useful for almost all PDF editing purposes, including annotating, sending for signature, modifying, converting and merging multiple file types, among other tools.
How to convert Word to PDF on Mac
Mac computers offer many options for converting Word documents to PDF files, just like Windows does. Besides the methods mentioned above, on Mac, you can also convert Word document to PDF using Pages.
After converting your Word document to PDF, check out our guide for a list of actions you can do with PDF files on your Mac.
Use a third-party app to convert Word to PDF
If you have a Word document and don’t have access to Microsoft Word or the Pages app on your Mac, you can use a third-party app to convert your Word document to PDF.
Some of the popular third-party applications you can use to convert Word to PDF include SmallPDF, CleverPDF, Sejda, LibreOffice, and many more. Just load your Word document into your preferred PDF editor, select the Word to PDF option, and the application will convert your document.
Keep your business
Converting a Word document to PDF is not difficult. Any of the above options can help you preserve the formatting of your documents and share it with others. We have a collection of tutorials to help you manage your PDF files, such as how to copy text from a PDF file, how to insert a PDF file into a Word document or insert a PDF into PowerPoint, compress a PDF file, and convert multiple images to PDFs.
Did you manage to convert the Word document to PDF? Share with us in the comments below.