How to Adjust Brightness on Windows 10. How to Control Your Brightness Settings in Windows 10.
One of the best ways to avoid or reduce eye strain and headaches while using your computer is to set the correct screen brightness.
For many Windows 10 users, using the brightness keys on the keyboard is a faster way to manually adjust the brightness level on their PCs.
If for some reason the keys don’t work as expected, you can use other methods to adjust the brightness on your Windows 10 PC.
How to adjust brightness on Windows 10
You can adjust brightness levels in Windows 10 manually or automatically based on ambient lighting, battery life, or power plan.
How to manually adjust brightness
Brightness can be adjusted manually in the display settings of your computer, from your keyboard, or using Windows Mobility Center.
- To adjust brightness using display settings, select Start Settings System.
- Then select Display and go to the Brightness & Color section.
- Use the Change Brightness slider to adjust the brightness to your liking. If you don’t see the slider, you may need to update your display driver. To update an outdated driver, right-click Start Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager window, select and expand the Display Adapters category.
- Right-click on the graphics card, select “Update Driver” and follow the instructions to complete the process.
- If you are using a second monitor, change the brightness using the buttons on the monitor.
Your keyboard also has dedicated keys for adjusting brightness. These keys are located next to the function keys or in the top row, depending on the brand or manufacturer of your computer or keyboard.
In this guide, we used a Lenovo laptop with the brightness keys located on the top row of the keyboard, next to the Print Screen key.
Windows Mobility Center is an alternative way to manually adjust brightness in Windows 10.
- To access Windows Mobility Center, right-click Start Mobility Center.
- In the Mobility Center window, use the Screen Brightness slider to adjust the brightness to a level that is comfortable for your eyes.
How to automatically adjust brightness
You can adjust brightness in Windows 10 automatically by turning on the battery saver feature.
- To enable Battery Saver, select Start Settings System.
- Select “Battery” and then go to “Power Saving Settings”.
- Then select the Automatically turn on battery saver when the battery level is low check box, then adjust the battery level percentage using the slider.
- Also check the “Reduce screen brightness in power saving mode” checkbox.
How to use adaptive brightness to adjust brightness
Adaptive brightness is a Windows 10 feature that automatically adjusts your display to suit the lighting conditions in your environment. This feature does this by touching the ambient light sensors and is therefore useful for saving battery power.
- To turn on adaptive brightness, choose Start Settings System and go to Display. </ Li
- If your device has a brightness sensor, the “Automatically dim when lighting changes” option will be available, in which case set it to On.
How to adjust brightness in Windows 10 using shortcuts
There are adjustment shortcuts that you can use to adjust the brightness in Windows 10. One of these shortcuts involves opening the Action Center on the taskbar and adjusting the brightness slider to the desired level.
- To do this, select the notification icon on the taskbar and then drag the brightness slider to the desired level.
- If the icon is not available, select Start Settings System Notifications & Actions.
- Select Edit Quick Steps.
- Then select Add Brightness and then select Done.
Use dark theme
If you are uncomfortable spending hours at your computer because of the brightness of your screen, you can turn on Windows 10’s dark theme or use night light mode.
Windows 10’s dark theme is similar to dark mode and can help reduce eye strain from extended use of your computer. You can use dark theme to display darker tones by adjusting your computer’s color scheme to make it easier for your eyes.
The dark theme will automatically apply to apps such as Mail, Microsoft Store, Calculator, and settings menus, but you might not get it with all aspects of Windows 10. For third-party apps, you’ll have to enable dark mode in those apps.
Check out our guides on how to turn on dark mode on YouTube, Google Apps, or macOS dark mode
Use Windows 10 Night Mode
Night Light is a Windows tool that applies a blue light filter to the display. The tool does not change the brightness of your display, but it does provide a light theme, which also reduces eye strain.
- To enable night light mode in Windows 10, select Start Settings Display.
- Under Brightness & Color, select Nightlight Settings.
Note. Devices using Basic Display or DisplayLink drivers do not have Night Light mode. Also, this feature may not apply to all monitors to which you have two or more monitors connected.
- Select Turn On Now to turn on Night Light immediately. </ Li
- You can also enable the “Night Light Schedule”. This allows you to set the Night Light to appear automatically at specific times of the day.
If you schedule Night Light, you have two options, Sunset to Sunrise, which activates the night light, which automatically amplifies from dusk to dawn. This setting depends on your time zone.
Alternatively, select Set Hours to set individual intervals for nighttime lighting at the desired hours. You can also use the Night color temperature slider to specify the display range of your light source.
Brightness Settings Control
We hope you’ve learned how to adjust brightness in Windows 10 to optimize the display for eye health and comfort.
Do you have additional ways to adjust brightness in Windows 10? Share with us in the comments below.