You can change the password for your Outlookcom account as well as in client applications on your computers. If you recently changed the password for your email account with your ISP, you will need to update it in the Outlook app on your computer so that it can continue to send and receive emails.
Change Outlookcom Password
Changing your Outlookcom password means changing your Microsoft account password. This means that after you change your password, you will need to use it to sign in to every Microsoft service you use on your devices.
This includes your Windows computer, your Microsoft email clients, and anything else that uses your Outlook or Microsoft account.
- Open a new browser tab and go to the Outlook website. Sign in to your account if you haven’t already.
- Click your profile icon in the upper right corner and select the option labeled My Account. The settings menu for your account will open.
- The next screen shows the Microsoft services that you can use. Click the Security option at the top to open the password menu.
- You will be prompted for your current password to continue. Enter your password and click “Login”.
- You will now be taken to the security screen. Find the section that says Password protection and click Change my password there.
- On the next screen, you can change your Outlookcom password.
Enter the current password in the first field, the new password in the second field, re-enter the new password in the third field and click “Save” at the bottom.
- There is a “Make me change password every 72 days” option that you can enable to have Outlook prompt you to change your password every 72 days. This is nothing more than a security measure to further protect your account.
Change Outlook Password on Windows
This way, Outlook will be able to log into your Microsoft account on your email provider’s server and receive new emails for you. If you don’t, Outlook will throw an error stating that the specified password is incorrect.
- Launch Outlook application on your PC.
- Click the File menu at the top to view basic Outlook options.
- In the right sidebar, click Account Settings and select Manage Profiles from the new expanded menu.
- Click the Email Accounts button to view your email accounts.
- You will see a list of all email accounts that you use with Outlook Select the account in the list for which you want to change the password and click “Change”.
- On the next screen, you can configure the settings for the selected email account. Since you only need to change the password, place the cursor in the Password field and enter a new password.
- It is recommended that you ensure that Outlook can connect to your mail server after changing your password. Click the Check Account Settings button to start checking your email.
- If all goes well, you can close all open windows now that your Outlook password has been successfully changed.
Change Outlook Password on Mac
- Click Launchpad in the Dock, find Microsoft Outlook and start it. Li>
- Click the Outlook menu at the top and select the Settings option. The Outlook settings menu will open.
- On the next screen, select the Accounts option to view your Outlook email accounts.
- You will see a list of the email accounts you use with Outlook in the left sidebar. Click on the account for which you want to change the password.
- On the right sidebar, there is a field called Password. Place your cursor in this field and enter a new password for your account.
- Close the panel after entering the new password and the password will be automatically saved.
Change Outlook password if your account is hacked
If you think someone has hacked your account, you should change your Outlook password immediately so that the hacker cannot log into your account. If they are already signed in and you change the password, they will be automatically signed out on all their devices.
To do this, you will need to reset your password at Microsoft.
- Go to the Outlook website using a browser on your computer.
- Enter your Outlook email address and click Next.
- Select the Forgot password option on the next screen. This will help you change your current password.
- Outlook will let you choose one of the recovery methods to reset the password for your account. In the example below, a recovery code will be sent to your default email address and you can use that code to reset your password.
- Log into your backup email and you will find the code in your inbox. Pay attention to the code.
- Return to the Outlook recovery screen, enter the recovery code and click Next.
- Then you can change your current Outlook password.