how to change keyboard language in windows.
Many popular platforms allow you to use the keyboard in multiple languages â€‹â€‹on your devices. This guide provides instructions for switching between keyboard languages â€‹â€‹on different platforms, namely Windows, macOS, Chrome OS, iOS, and Android, as they all offer unique options for switching between keyboard languages.
Note. The following instructions will only work if your devices have multiple keyboard languages â€‹â€‹installed. Take a look, for example, our previous article on how to add a different language and keyboard in Windows 10.
Switch Between Keyboard Languages on Windows 10
Windows 10 offers several ways to change the current keyboard language. You can use the taskbar option or keyboard shortcut to switch the keyboard language.
Use the taskbar
The Windows 10 taskbar displays the current keyboard language, and you can select this option to change the language. You will see the language setting on the taskbar only if multiple languages â€‹â€‹are installed in Windows 10.
- Select the name of the current language in the taskbar. If you are using English, the taskbar should say ENG.
- Windows shows the keyboard languages â€‹â€‹installed on your PC.
- Select the keyboard language you want to use in the list.
- Open any text editor and you can start typing in the new selected language.
Use keyboard shortcut (displays a list of languages)
Windows 10 has a keyboard shortcut that displays your keyboard languages â€‹â€‹and lets you choose one of them.
- Open a text editor or any program in which you can type, such as Word.
- Press and hold the Windows key and then press the space bar.
- A small menu will appear on the screen with a list of keyboard languages. Press the space bar to select a language from this list.
- Release the Windows keys and the spacebar when you have selected a language.
- You can now print in the selected language.
Use keyboard shortcut (does not display the list of languages)
There is another keyboard shortcut in Windows 10 that changes the keyboard language but does not display a list of languages. This shortcut changes languages â€‹â€‹in the order they appear in the list.
- On a Windows keyboard, press Alt + Shift on the left side of the keyboard.
- Windows quickly changes the current keyboard language. This is reflected in the taskbar, and now you see the new language option in the taskbar.
- Press Alt + Shift again to switch to the next language in the list.
Switch Between Keyboard Languages on macOS
Like Windows 10, macOS offers several ways to switch between keyboard languages. Also, as with Windows, most of these options will not appear until you set the second language (input source) on macOS.
You can do this by going to System Preferences> Keyboard> Input Sources and clicking the + icon.
Now choose your language, choose your keyboard type and click Add.
Use the macOS Menu Bar
The easiest way to switch between keyboard languages â€‹â€‹on macOS is to use the language icon in the menu bar. There is an icon in the bar at the top of the Mac screen that helps you change the current keyboard language.
If you don’t see this language icon in the Mac menu bar, select the Apple logo in the upper-left corner of your screen, choose System Preferences> Keyboard> Input Sources, and turn on Show Input Menu In Menu Bar.
Then follow these steps:
- Move the cursor to the top of the screen to display the menu bar.
- Select the icon for the input source in the menu bar.
- Select the desired keyboard language and start typing in it.
Use the keyboard shortcut
MacOS has a keyboard shortcut for switching between the available keyboard languages. You can use this shortcut to go to the next or previous language in the list.
- To switch to the next keyboard language in the list, press Option + Control + Spacebar.
- To switch to the previous keyboard language, press Control + Space.
- The input source menu icon on the Mac will change the menu bar to match the language selection made with the keyboard shortcut.
Use the keyboard shortcut Fn
You can also use one key to change the keyboard language. macOS allows you to use the Fn key on your keyboard to cycle through the list of languages.
To customize this:
- Select the Apple logo in the upper left corner of the screen and choose System Preferences.
- Then select Keyboard in System Preferences.
- Select the first tab labeled Keyboard.
- From the drop-down menu for Press Press Fn to select the Change Input Source option.
- Now press the Fn key every time you want to switch to a different keyboard language.
Switch Between Keyboard Languages on Chrome OS (Chromebook)
Chrome OS follows a Windows-like approach to help users switch between keyboard languages. First, you add a language setting to the Chrome OS shelf and then use that setting to change the language.
You can also use a keyboard shortcut to change the keyboard language on your Chromebook.
Use a graphics option
First, follow the steps below to enable the input source option for the shelf of your Chromebook.
Select the shelf time on your Chromebook, and then select Settings.
- Then Select Advanced on the left, and then select Languages â€‹â€‹and Input from the expanded menu.
- Select input from languages â€‹â€‹and inputs.
- Enable Show input options on the shelf.
- The Chromebook adds the current keyboard language code to the shelf.
- Click this newly added language code and you can now select a new language for your keyboard.
Use keyboard shortcut
Chromebook offers two keyboard shortcuts for switching between keyboard languages.
- To switch to the next keyboard language, press Shift + Ctrl + Space.
- To return to the previous keyboard language you were using, press Ctrl + Space.
Switch Between Keyboard Languages on iOS (iPhone/iPad)
On iPhone and iPad, there is an option to change the language on the keyboard itself.
- Open an app where you can type with an iOS keyboard, such as a Notes or iMessage app.
- On your on-screen keyboard, press and hold the globe icon below.
- If you don’t see the globe icon on your keyboard, press and hold the smiley icon instead. It performs the same task.
- You now see a list of installed keyboard languages. Tap the language you want to switch to. If you don’t see the language you want, click Keyboard Settings from the pop-up menu, and then click Keyboards to add a new keyboard to iOS.If you’ve installed a keyboard app like Gboard on your iOS device, you’ll also see the option to change its settings.
- Your keyboard will now use the selected language. You can switch between the available keyboard languages â€‹â€‹by clicking the globe icon.
Switch Between Keyboard Languages on Android
Most Android phones use Google’s Gboard as their default keyboard app. If you are using this app, there are two ways to switch between keyboard languages.
Use the spacebar
Follow the instructions below to switch between the available keyboard languages.
- Open an app where you can enter, for example, the default note-taking app on your phone.
- When the keyboard appears, press and hold the space bar. When the Gboard Change Keyboard menu opens, choose the language you want to switch to from the menu.
- You can now type in the language of your choice.
Use the globe icon
Gboard offers a globe icon to switch between keyboard languages. You won’t see this option right away because you need to enable it first.
- Open the Settings app on your Android phone.
- Scroll to the bottom and click System> Languages â€‹â€‹& Input.
- Click Virtual Keyboard and then select Gboard.
Since most devices support multiple keyboard languages, you are never limited to entering text in just one language. The above methods will help you switch to whatever language you want to use with your keyboard. You can reset your keyboard settings to their default values â€‹â€‹by following these steps. article linked above.
- Select “Settings” in Gboard preferences.
- Turn on Show Language Switch Key.
- Open an application where you can print.
- On the onscreen keyboard, tap the globe icon to switch to the next language in the list.
- Press and hold the globe icon to view a list of available languages.
how to change keyboard language in windows
how to change keyboard language in windows
shortcut to change keyboard language, windows 10
how to change keyboard language windows 10
how to change keyboard language windows 7
Quickly how to change keyboard language shortcut
how to change keyboard language on android
how to change keyboard language on samsung
short keys how to change your keyboard language on chromebook
how to change language on keyboard mac
How to Switch Between Keyboard Languages on All Your Devices