How to Add Music to iMovie 2023.
Whether you’re working on a home movie, a short for YouTube upload, or the next Hollywood blockbuster, adding music can make your videos more interesting. Adding music also conveys mood, emotion and humor.
For iPhone or Mac users, iMovie’s built-in editing software makes it easy to add royalty-free music, sound effects, and voiceover.
Here’s how to add music to iMovie to create a fun and professional video on your iPhone or Mac.
How to Add Music to iMovie on iPhone
With iMovie, you can access all of your movie projects, edit your movie to add sound, and share it online or send it to the Apple TV app.
You can add audio files to your iMovie project, including built-in sound effects and music from the standard themes included with iMovie.
- First, create a new iMovie project or open an existing project.
- To create a new iMovie project on your iPhone, go to the project browser and press the + (plus).
- Click Movie to open the Moments screen. Here you will see photos and videos from your photo archive, organized by moment.
- If you want to create a trailer with your videos and photos, click Trailer to use the built-in templates.
- Then press and hold the thumbnails to preview your photos or video clips, and then click the video or photo you want to add to your movie.
Click New Movie to open a new project.
Note. You can also record directly into iMovie instead of selecting photos or videos from the Moments screen. If you prefer to record straight from your iPhone camera to your iMovie project, place a video clip or photo in the timeline of your project, then click Use Photo or Use Video.
- To create a new iMovie project on your Mac, go to the Project browser and select Create New.
How to Add Background Music to iMovie on iPhone
With your new or existing project open on your iPhone, you are now ready to add background music to iMovie by following these steps.
Note. The music you add to the project timeline will automatically adjust according to the duration of the project, but you can change the duration and add more music to your project. Make sure the length of the audio file and video file is the same.
How to Record Voiceover in iMovie on iPhone
If you’d like to add a voiceover instead of background music, iMovie provides this with a voiceover button. Here’s how to do it.
- Select “Movie” and select the clips or photos you want to add from the Photos app library, import from your camera, iPhone, or record directly from your Mac.
- Drag clips from the iMovie browser, desktop, or Finder onto the project timeline to start making your movie. Now you can add music to iMovie.
- Open your project and position the playhead (white vertical line) where you want to add your audio file.
- Select the Audio tab in the iMovie Browser Area. Alternatively, click the Show Library List button to view the options in the left pane.
- Click Add Media> Audio and select one of the following:
- Soundtracks to select music from an iMovie theme.
- My Music, to view the downloads of audio files on your device in the Music application.
- Files for accessing audio files in iCloud Drive or elsewhere.
- Then click the song to download it to your device, and then click the + (plus) next to the audio file to add it to your project. The song will be placed below the video track.
Note. To reuse voice-overs or find other recordings in iMovie, tap Add Media> Audio> My Music> Recordings.
How to Add Music to iMovie on a Mac
iMovie for Mac lets you drag and drop music, voiceovers, or sound effects from the Finder onto your project’s timeline. You can also use audio files from your Music Library, iCloud, or elsewhere using the iMovie browser, or record and add voiceovers to your project.
Note. If you’re using macOS Mojave or earlier, select iTunes to access your music library, then browse through your selections.
Once completed, you can position, trim, edit, or add ratings to the audio file on the timeline. You can drag any side of the selection to shrink or expand it.
Create Your Own Masterpiece
Whether you’re using an iPhone or Mac to add music to iMovie, it’s easy to create your own masterpiece without relying on advanced video or audio editing software. If you’re using an iPad, learn how to use iMovie on iPad to make simple changes.
We’d love to hear your experience of adding music to your project in iMovie. Share your feedback in the comments.
- To record voiceovers in iMovie, open your project.
- Set the playhead where you want to add the narration.
Press the voiceover button.
- Click Record and then click Stop when finished.
- Click Browse to listen to the recording or Accept to save and add to your project. If you want to repeat the recording, click Retry or Cancel to delete it.
- After adding music to your project, you can adjust the volume of the audio clip or voiceover for the perfect sound. To do this, tap a clip, tap Volume, and then set the slider to the desired volume level. iMovie also offers controls for decreasing volume or changing the speed of a clip.
- To do this, open your project and select “Audio”. above the browser.
- Select iTunes or Music to access your music library, Sound Effects to access the built-in sound effects in the library list, or GarageBand to use a song created in GarageBand. Find the audio file you want to add to your project.
- Click the Play button to preview the audio file. before adding it to your project schedule.
- Drag the background music into the music compartment, or drag a file below a video clip if you want to attach it to a specific video clip. You can also drag the entire file onto the project timeline, or select a waveform range and drag it onto the timeline to add a portion of the audio file.
How to Add Music to iMovie 2021
How to Add Music to iMovie 2021