How I Block Subreddits From Your r/all List.
Reddit is a great community and website where you can find pretty much everything from breaking news to real stories and tips to completely useless content. The latter may be fun for a short time, but soon after, you may want to block certain subreddits and stop receiving notifications from them.
If you’ve decided to tidy up your Reddit, learn how to block subreddits from your r / all list in both the old and new versions of the site.
How to Block Subreddits Using the Old Reddit
Since the site’s redesign in 2018, Reddit users have been split into two categories: those who like the newly updated site and those who prefer the old Reddit.
If you are one of those people who think the old Reddit did a better job and would rather keep using the old version of the site, the process of blocking subreddits is much easier. To filter out subreddits that should no longer appear in your r / all list, follow these steps.
- Open the old Reddit website and sign in to your account.
- Go to your r / all page to see all of the most popular posts on Reddit.
- On the right side of the screen, just below the search bar, find the filter menu. Enter the names of the subreddits you do not want to appear in the r / all list and click the plus sign to confirm.
You can now see the names of the blocked subreddits in the list on the right side of the screen. This means that all of their content is now filtered from your r / all page.
How to Block Subreddits From Your r/all List
If you are new to Reddit or prefer to use the new version of Reddit, you have probably noticed that blocking subreddits from your r / all list is not easy. Even if you log into your account on the old Reddit site and block certain subreddits, the new Reddit will still display them on your r / all list.
So what can you do if you want to get rid of content that other Redditors have voted on? To remove a specific subreddit from the r / all feed, you need to vote for it as spam. However, this will require thousands of spam votes before the subreddit is removed.
Two alternatives are upgrading your account to Reddit Premium or using a third-party tool.
Block subreddits with Reddit Premium
If you prefer to only use your own apps and Reddit site, the best way to get rid of inappropriate content for you is to upgrade to Reddit Premium. While this option is a bit pricey (starting at $ 5.99 per month), premium membership gives you many benefits.
To upgrade your Reddit membership to premium
follow these steps.
- Open Reddit and sign in to your account.
- In the upper right corner of the screen, select the down arrow icon next to your username.
- Choose Premium.
- Choose the plan that suits you, $ 49.99 / year or $ 5.99 / month, and go to the payment options. The steps are the same for both browser and mobile versions of the app.
In addition to being able to filter your r / all feed, it allows you to start using Reddit Gold – Reddit’s special currency that allows you to interact with other users’ content. You also get ad-free browsing and other perks that true Reddit users will appreciate. Once you’ve joined Premium, the blocking process is much the same as the old version of Reddit, only with updated features.
Use Reddit Enhancement Suite to block subreddits from your r / all feed
If you’re not willing to pay for a premium subscription, you can install a third-party app that lets you control what appears in your r / all feed.
One of the best third-party tools for Reddit is the Reddit Enhancement Suite browser extension. It is compatible with multiple browsers including Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, and Mozilla Firefox.
To use Reddit Enhancement Suite to remove unwanted subreddits from your r / all list, follow these steps.
- Download and install the extension in the browser you use to view Reddit.
- Open Reddit in your browser and sign in to your account.
- In your browser extensions menu, search for Reddit Enhancement Suite. Open the extension’s menu (in Chrome, highlight the three vertical dots next to it) and select Options. You will be taken to the Reddit Enhancement Suite page.
- From the Reddit Enhancement Suite page, select Subreddits> filteReddit in the left sidebar.
Turn on the filteReddit radio button.
On the same page, you’ll find your usual subreddit filter, similar to the one used on the old Reddit. You can use it to hide certain subreddits from your r / all feed. Plus, you can customize your options to hide subreddits and comments from specific users, enable NSFW filter, hide posts with specific keywords, and more.
Take Control of Whatâ€™s in Your r/all Feed
Let’s summarize. If you don’t like Reddit claiming the r / all feed and controlling what you see there, you have three main ways to get it back.
- Use the old version of Reddit.
- With the new Reddit, you can either buy a premium subscription or use a third-party tool that will let you filter your content.
- Alternatively, you can opt-out of Reddit and switch to a similar app.
Have you blocked any subreddits from your r / all list before? How did you do it? Share your experience with r / all feed management in the comments section below.
How I Block Subreddits From Your r/all List
How I Block Subreddits From Your r/all List