Amazon Audible gives you access to a huge library of audiobooks, including fiction, non-fiction, self-help, and more.
Unless you take advantage of any special offers, Audible usually costs $ 14.95 per month. At this price, you get 1 credit to download one audiobook at any price every month. Many audiobooks have market prices ranging from $ 15 to $ 40.
From a financial standpoint, Audible seems like a great option. But is it right for you? In this article, we’ll take a look at how Audible works after subscribing. We’ll also cover scenarios in which you might want to terminate your membership and how to cancel Audible.
How does Audible work?
Signing up for Audible is pretty simple. First, sign up for a free 30-day trial using your credit card. You will also need to download the Audible app for Android or iOS.
Once you launch Audible, you will see a variety of audiobook suggestions that you might like. They are divided into several categories, for example:
- Recommended for you.
- Popular in your best genres.
- Free for members.
And many other categories that are updated regularly.
When you start listening to audiobooks, at the top of the home page, you will also see your current audiobooks and your progress on each one. It will also show you the status of available credits to use.
It is worth noting that you do not need to use the monthly loan for all audiobooks. The Audible library has a collection of audiobooks that you can listen to for free by subscription.
By tapping the menu icon in the upper left corner of the home screen, you will see the complete Audible menu with many options.
- Select “Originals” from the menu to view audiobooks that you can listen to for free.
- Select “My Library” from the menu to view all the audiobooks you have purchased. Buying an audiobook means that it will remain in your library forever, and you can listen to it as often as you like.
Navigate to Audible
- Select Originals from the menu to browse Audible assets that you can listen to for free.
- Select My Library from the list to view all the audiobooks you have purchased. Buying an audiobook means that it will stay in your library permanently and you can listen to it as often as you like.
- Select “Featured” from the menu to see which audiobooks Audible recommends based on your recent listening history.
This area is especially useful given that Audible’s audiobook library is so large that it can sometimes be difficult to find audiobooks that interest you.
- If you select “Statistics” from the menu, you: You will see your listening history in different ways.
- Listening Level: Get higher grades the more hours you listen to audiobooks.
- Badge Collection: You can win badges for listening to audiobooks in a row, listening at specific times of the day or week, and more.
- Listening Time: View a history of total listening time.
- Audio Titles: View the total number of audiobooks you’ve listened to in a given time period.
Just like fitness apps help you see how well you are getting fit, Audible stats help you track how well you are getting fit!
Find new audiobooks to listen to
By choosing Store from the main menu, you will see different approaches to finding new Audible audiobooks to buy. You can create a wishlist, search for bestsellers or new releases, or simply click the Browse button to browse the most popular options.
The Categories option is the best way to explore the entire Audible library. You will see the main Categories page, where all audiobooks are divided into 26 categories.
They should cover just about any area that might interest you.
Select any of these to browse by Recommended Headings or Subcategories in each topic area.
Once you see the Audible title you want to listen to, just click on the audiobook title. You will see an option to buy an audiobook at a price that is usually below the retail price for subscribers.
However, in most cases, you will use one of your monthly credits by clicking Buy Now with 1 Credit. If you donâ€™t want to buy now, you can select â€œAdd to Wishlistâ€ so that anyone else in your Audible account can buy it for you by selecting â€œGift itâ€.
If you have an Audible account, you can rest assured that you never run out of audiobook options to listen to. The library is really huge.
Is Audible Worth the Cost?
Deciding if Audible is right for you is not easy. A lot depends on your lifestyle and how long you really need to listen to, this can be 8 to 15 hours.
There are many other considerations:
- Do you enjoy listening to stories told out loud to you?
- What part of your daily schedule allows you to listen to audio for a long time?
- Can you listen to the audiobook while focusing on other work?
- Do you usually spend a lot of money on audiobooks?
- Most audiobook subscription prices average between $ 20 and $ 25 each.
- You can purchase any audiobook on your monthly loan, regardless of the price.
- You have access to the entire library of free audiobooks with your monthly subscription.
Audiobooks are not ideal for people who prefer to read paper books. Moreover, it is not cost effective for people who only listen to them on long journeys and rarely make long trips.
To determine if it’s worth the cost, consider that Audible has a monthly subscription price of $ 14.95.
Keep in mind that there are many places on the Internet where you can get free audiobooks to listen to However, the library of free audiobooks is usually much smaller than the library you find on Audible.
How to cancel Audible
If you’ve signed up for Audible but decide it’s not cost-effective, it’s not entirely obvious how to cancel your subscription.
You need to dig a little through the menu system to find where you can unsubscribe from Audible.
- From the Audible home page, choose My Account from the menu. Scroll down the page and select “Help”.
- Under “How Can We Help You?” in the “My Account” section.
- On the next page, select Change or Cancel My Membership.
- On the next page, select “Cancel my membership”.
- Click the Cancel Membership button to complete the cancellation of membership.
You have other options besides canceling your subscription entirely. If you wish, you can block your account for up to three months. This will suspend any monthly payments.
During this time, you will not be charged your monthly subscription fee, but you will also not accumulate new monthly credits. This can be useful if you have accumulated a lot of credits and did not have much time to listen to audiobooks.
However, to do this, you will need to contact support by phone or email.
Should you keep your audio subscription?
The decision to keep paying for your monthly Audible subscription depends on how much you use it. If you simply donâ€™t have time to listen to audiobooks very often, subscribing to Audible may not be cost effective for you.
However, if you travel a lot and need some entertainment on your long journeys, or if you find listening to stories helps you stay more productive, an Audible subscription might be right for you.