How to Download Reddit Videos.reddit video downloader.
Reddit isn’t just a social media platform – it’s a forum for communities to gather, a source to find funny videos and images, a place to get advice or share concerns, or just a place to blow off steam. If you use Reddit to watch video content on subreddits you follow, you can download the videos to watch them offline.
Downloading videos from Reddit isn’t as easy as downloading videos from other websites, but it’s still possible (if you have the right tools). If you want to download videos from Reddit to your PC or Mac, here’s what you need to do.
Is It Legal to Download Reddit Videos?
Before you start downloading videos from Reddit, make sure you are allowed to do so. Reddit, like all online platforms, is subject to copyright laws. If you post copyrighted material on Reddit, expect it to be removed. Likewise, if you download copyrighted material without the owner’s permission, you might get into trouble.
This is a judgment for you, depending on the copyright of the video. If you downloaded a video that was copyrighted by the original author and they gave you permission to download it, that’s okay. The same rules apply to public domain videos to which copyright rules do not apply.
Likewise, small video creators are unlikely to chase users who download videos from Reddit in order to watch (but not share) somewhere else. Of course, it’s always best to ask permission to download videos from Reddit. But if you only plan to watch and not publish videos, you shouldn’t have any problems with private browsing.
However, if you plan on uploading and posting Reddit videos elsewhere, you are most likely in violation of Reddit’s terms of service. Your country’s laws may also prohibit you from downloading videos from Reddit and other online sources, so make sure you are allowed to do so first.
How to Find and Copy a Reddit Video Link
Before you can download a video from Reddit, you need to copy the link to the video itself. When a video is uploaded to Reddit, it is saved and played with the native Reddit video player, making it easy to stream and watch video content on the Reddit website or the Reddit mobile app.
Once you get the link, you can download the video as a file, which can then be played independently in apps like VLC. You will need to complete these steps first before proceeding to download videos with any of the methods below.
- To copy a Reddit link on a PC or Mac, open the Reddit website using the new Reddit interface and search for the video in the subreddit of your choice. With a video post open, choose Share> Copy Link.
- To copy a Reddit link in the Reddit app, open the app on your mobile device and find the video you want to save. When you find it, select Share and then copy the link using the sharing options on your device.
The link in the clipboard is not a direct link to the video, but a link to a post containing the video. From this link, you can use the Reddit Video Download Tool (described below) to download the video directly to your device.
How to Download Reddit Videos on PC or Mac
Since there are no official tools for downloading videos from Reddit, you will need to use third-party tools to get the job done. One of the best tools available for this is YouTube-DL, which, despite its name, is a video download tool for Windows, Linux and Mac users that supports Reddit videos (along with other platforms).
It is an open source terminal based tool, which means you need a Linux or Mac terminal or Windows PowerShell to use it. You will also need a video sharing link for the video you want to download by following the steps in the section above.
- First, download the latest YouTube-DL for your platform. … Linux and Mac users will have to open a terminal application and follow the instructions, while Windows users can install YouTube-DL using the latest version as an executable.
- If you are on Windows, open a new PowerShell window after installation by right-clicking the Start menu and choosing Windows PowerShell (Admin).
- In a terminal application (Mac or Linux) or PowerShell window (Windows), enter the youtube-dl URL, replacing the URL with the Reddit share link, and then click Enter key to start download.
If the link is correct, the download should start immediately, saving the video in its original format to your PC or Mac. You can further customize this tool (for example, set your own video format or save additional video information) using the arguments available in the YouTube-DL documentation.
How to Download Reddit Videos Online
If you prefer to use the web service to download Reddit videos for offline playback, there are several platforms for this purpose, and you can easily find them using a Google search (like the Reddit video downloader).
For example, RedditSave is a simple web tool and Google Chrome extension to download Reddit videos using a web browser on any platform.
- To get started, open the RedditSave website and paste the Reddit video sharing URL in the provided box, then select Upload.
- The options on the next page may differ depending on the original video. Select Download to download the video in the only available resolution, Download HD version to download the highest quality version, or SD Versions to select a lower quality version (480 pixels or less).
After downloading the video, you can play it on any video player.
Enjoying Reddit Content
If you can’t stream videos on the go, uploading videos from Reddit is a good workaround. You may need to check Reddit’s terms of service first, but if you don’t share content without permission from the copyright holder, you should be fine (but if possible, you should still ask for permission).
You can share your own content on Reddit, from text messages and videos to animated GIFs, as long as you have a reputable Reddit account – if you’ve been blocked on Reddit, your posts may be hidden from view. If you’re just starting out, consider subscribing to Reddit to get rid of ads and get additional benefits.
How to Download Reddit Videos
How to Download Reddit Videos
reddit video downloader