Despite the massive boom in social media, whether for work or leisure, email is still a commonly used way to keep in touch with others and manage your busy day. No more than those who sit in front of the computer all day, whether at work or at home.
Even though your eyes will most likely be on your mobile device when it comes to reading email, the computer still plays an important role. This is especially true when working with multiple email accounts.
A PC is actually more convenient for emailing than a mobile phone. The problem with PCs that makes the use of email less desirable is the need to deal with the different interfaces of each email service.
Google’s built-in web interface in Gmail is definitely one such service that could be improved. Luckily for you, Windows 10 provides many viable alternatives for the desktop Gmail app.
Create the Gmail desktop app with the three email clients
The three email clients below are some of the best you can find for the Windows 10 Gmail desktop app. We decided not to add the Windows 10 Mail app to the list as we prefer other options. Each of these was designed primarily for Gmail, although they will still work for other email services as well.
Mailbird has a number of features including a single inbox for managing all emails and contacts from multiple accounts, many free color themes to customize your layout, app integration with social media platforms, and more.
When it comes to an account, there are two options, Mailbird Personal at $ 14.50 per year or a one-time payment of $ 59 and Mailbird Business at $ 24.50 per year. It’s also available for free, known as Mailbird Lite, with fewer additional features. This is automatically selected for you after your free trial ends without choosing one of the other two payment levels.
- Go to the official website and download Mailbird by clicking the “Free Download” button.
- The download prompt should look something like this:
- Once downloaded, run the installer and continue with the installation process.
- The first window will ask you to add an email account, where you will need to enter the name and email address of the account.
- Once Mailbird detects the account, you will receive a similar window:
- Click Continue to display the normal Gmail login screen in your browser.
- Go through the Gmail sign-in process as usual, selecting the account you want to add to Mailbird.
- After connecting to the account, the Mailbird configuration window will open:
- Here you can choose your preferred layout and color theme.
- Then a window to connect your favorite applications:
- Then the one that asks if you want to add more accounts:
Once complete, you can either activate your free trial version of Mailbird Business or, if already purchased, enter the activation code you received.
Another feature-rich addition to the list should be the eM client. It is a well-established email client that has been around for over ten years. The user interface is clean and familiar to those who have used Microsoft Outlook.
eM Client comes with a unique sidebar that can save you a lot of time. Features include chat history, attachment history, agenda list, and chat. Integrating Gmail with your desktop is relatively quick and easy, and installation takes very little time.
Home use is free, but limited to a maximum of two email accounts. The free version is pretty limited, so if you want more features, they offer the premium version for a one-time $ 50 fee.
- Go to the official website and click Download for free! button.
- Double click the install icon to start the installation.
- Accept the license agreement, click Continue and then Install.
- Wait for the installation to complete and click Finish.
- Once launched, enter your email address in the field and click Start Now.
- Confirm the results in the next window by clicking “Next”.
- Choose which pieces of information you want to import from your Gmail account to your eM Client, then click Finish.
- Next, you will need to log in through the Gmail web app, after which you will be prompted to open the eM client.
Depending on how much information needs to be moved, the synchronization process may take some time. You can still use the eM Client while waiting for the sync process to complete.
The third and final entry on this list definitely claims to be the best Gmail desktop app for Windows 10. Thunderbird is under constant development as it is the only open source app on this list. Although owned by Mozilla, the Thunderbird community is always adding new features or details in an effort to make Thunderbird the best it can be.
Thunderbird makes it incredibly easy to multitask and manage multiple Gmail accounts. It supports many add-ons and extensions to help with these tasks. If you’re looking for an email client that continues to evolve into a great desktop Gmail app, Thunderbird should be remembered.
- Go to the Thunderbird official website and click the FREE DOWNLOAD button.
- You will be asked to contribute to the ongoing development of Thunderbird. You can always come back and donate later if you’d rather test the product ahead of time.
- Run the Thunderbird installer and walk through the installation wizard. When you reach the end, check the box next to “Start Mozilla Thunderbird now” and click “Finish”.
- As with other email clients, you will need to find and sync your email account. Add your name, email address and password (for an account) and click Continue.
- We need to find the configuration for the email address you entered.
- If you want all mail to be stored online with the client, select IMAP. To enable the mail folder to store all emails and information from your account on your computer, select POP3.
- Click Finish to continue.
- You will then be guided through the process by logging into your Gmail account.
Next, you will need to choose which information to integrate into Thunderbird from your Gmail account. You can set up to sync everything every time you log in. Then you can start using Thunderbird.
Let us know in the comments which desktop email client you use for Gmail and why you like it.