6 Best Ways to Lock Your Chromebook Screen.If you’re using a Chromebook in a public place or walking away from your Chromebook, you might want to lock the screen. We’ll show you how to lock your Chromebook’s screen in a few different ways, as well as a few different ways to unlock the screen.
How to lock the screen on a Chromebook
There are actually six different ways to lock your Chromebook’s screen, depending on your preference. Below we will explain each method so you can choose the one that works best for you.
Use the power button
This is one of the fastest and easiest ways to lock your Chromebook screen.
- Press and hold the Power button.
- Select Lock.
Use the block key
Here’s another easy way to lock your Chromebook’s screen when you step away for a few minutes.
- Press and hold the Lock key on your Chromebook keyboard.
- After about two seconds, the Chromebook screen should lock.
Close the lid
You can simply close the lid of your Chromebook to lock the screen. However, you need to make sure that the option to lock the screen when the lid is closed is enabled. Here’s how to do it.
- Click clock in the lower right corner of the screen and select clock < /span> :bold”>Settingsgear icon.
- Under Security and Privacy select Lock screen and sign in >.
- Enter your Google account password and click Confirm. < /li>
- Turn on the Lock when sleeping or lid is closed switch.
Use a magnifying glass
Here’s another quick and easy way to lock your Chromebook screen.
- Press the magnifying glass key + L on your Chromebook keyboard.
- Your Chromebook screen should now be locked!
Click on the clock
Here’s another quick way to lock your Chromebook screen.
- Click on the clock in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Click Lock.
If your Chromebook is inactive for a certain period of time, your screen will turn off and then your Chromebook will go into sleep mode. This isn’t the best option if you’re using a Chromebook in a public place, as someone could gain access to your Google account and other information before the screen locks. You’ll also need to make sure you have the Sleep Lock feature turned on as described above.However, if you are at home or in another safe place, you may find that this is the blocking method you use most often. The amount of time it takes for the screen to turn off and go to sleep depends on whether the Chromebook is connected to a network or not.When connected: The screen will turn off after eight minutes and the Chromebook will go to sleep after 30 minutes.Not connected: The screen will turn off after six minutes and the Chromebook will go to sleep after 10 minutes.
How to display the lock screen on wakeup
You always want your Chromebook to show the lock screen when it wakes up. This ensures that no one else can access anything on your Chromebook, including your Google account. By default, the lock screen appears when the Chromebook wakes up. But if you want to double-check that the feature is enabled, or enable it if it is in fact disabled, here’s how to do it.
- Click Clock in the lower right corner of the screen and select Clock < /span> :bold”>Settingsgear.
- Scroll down and under Security and privacy select Lock screen and login. .
- Enter your Chromebook password and click Confirm .
- In the Lock screen in sleep mode section, select Password only or PIN or password is selected.
How to unlock your Chromebook screen
You can use your phone, PIN, or Google password to unlock your Chromebook’s screen. Using your phone is generally a faster option, as long as you don’t leave your phone idle.
Unlock your screen with PIN/password
Although you can use your Google password to unlock your screen, we recommend using a PIN. Signing in is easier and faster, especially if your Chromebook 2-in-1 is in tablet mode. Here’s how to set up a PIN on your Chromebook.
- Click clock in the lower right corner of the screen and select Settings gear icon
- Under Security and privacy select Screen lock and sign in >.
- Enter your Google password, then click Confirm.
- Select PIN or password > Set up PIN
- Enter the one you choose PIN (six or more digits)
- Select Continue
- Re-enter your PIN, then select Confirm.
The next time your Chromebook wakes up, you’ll be able to sign in using this PIN instead of your Google password.
Unlock the screen using your phone
You can also connect your Android phone to your Chromebook so that the screen unlocks when the phone is nearby. Here’s how to do it, but first you’ll need to make sure you’re using the latest versions of Chrome and Android. You’ll also need to sign in to your Google account on your phone and Chromebook, and turn on Bluetooth on both devices.
- Tap clock in the bottom right corner of the screen, then select Settings gear.
- In the Connected devices section, find Android phone and select Customize.
- In the menu on the left, select the phone you want to connect. Your Chromebook may automatically detect your device, so make sure it selects the correct device.
- Click Accept and continue.
- Enter your Google Account password when prompted.
- Click Done.
When your phone is within Bluetooth range of your Chromebook, you can simply click your profile picture to sign in!Now that you know how to lock your Chromebook’s screen, you’ll no longer have to worry about your Chromebook when you leave your desk, whether you’re working at home, in the office, or at a coffee shop. To learn even more about your Chromebook, check out these advanced Chromebook tips to become a power user, or dive into these Chromebook tips and tricks to get the most out of your Chromebook.
6 Best Ways to Lock Your Chromebook Screen
6 Best Ways to Lock Your Chromebook Screen