Owning a Discord server can be both a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, it’s a free text and VoIP service that you and a few friends can use to communicate with each other, whether in game or otherwise.
On the other hand, it can become a fast-growing community filled with different personalities, some of whom can say whatever is on their mind without hesitation. Much to the dismay of the rest of the community, who might not consider it cultural enrichment, as one might think.
Vulgar behavior and words are not new to the online community, especially in the gaming environment. Racial slurs and hate speech can be considered the norm when dealing with keyboardists who think that anonymity gives them the power of integrity.
As an owner, you must control the chat environment so that your community members feel comfortable and continue to contribute to its prosperity. So when it comes to banning bad words on Discord, there is a Discord bot filter for that.
Conflict filtering robots block “bad words”
You may have noticed that Discord has a built-in explicit content filter, so why would you even need a bot to do this job? You should understand that the built-in function was never intended to block certain words in chat. Instead, it only censors or filters images and videos that may be deemed unsafe to work (NSFW).
This is a great start, as the images can contain offensive and vulgar content, but it doesn’t save your chat from accidental swearing. What you will need is a Discord bot filter that will filter out any profanity that you deem objectionable in your community.
Profanity Filtering Robots
There are many Discord filter bots available that remove any profanity added to the bad word blacklist. Most of these bots often have a variety of other features that can be useful to the growing Discord community.
We’ve taken it a step further and provided two of the most popular Discord filter bots, Nightbot and Dyno, which you’ll find contain both a profanity filter and other community support features. We will tell you in detail what a bot is, how to download and configure it, as well as how to use the proposed profanity filter.
Everyone who is currently active on Twitch.tv is familiar with this bot. It doesn’t matter if you’ve heard of it or are using it now, Nightbot is one of the best bots you can have for not only filtering profanity but many other features as well.
It provides many chat commands and auto-moderation tools for use with your Twitch and YouTube channels, as well as your Discord server.
You can use their blacklist feature, where you can add any inappropriate words or phrases you want to filter out from your chat. It also has the ability to suppress spam of unnecessary characters, emotions, capital letters, links, copy-paste, and other serious annoyances your chat community may face.
Once set up, you can integrate your Nightbot account with your Discord account and add it to your server.
- Sign in to your Nightbot account with your Twitch or YouTube account and go to the Integrations tab. For this walkthrough, we will be using a Twitch account.
- In Discord, click the Connect button to establish a connection between Nightbot and your Discord account. You will be prompted to sign in to Discord if you haven’t already.
- In the new window, click “Authorize” to allow the integration.
- A new pop-up will appear informing that Nightbot is ready to join the server. Click the “Join Server” button in the upper right corner.
- Another login window will appear. Select the server you want to integrate Nightbot with, and then click the “Authorize” button.
- You can also choose which permissions to grant Nightbot on this server. Typically, bots need a lot of permissions to run efficiently or in general, so I would just leave them selected as they are.
- Use reCAPTCHA by clicking the I’m not a robot box button and complete the process.
- The next window will depend on which account (Twitch or YouTube</a you used to log into Nightbot. Since we are using Twitch, you will be prompted to set up Discord roles to match those on your Twitch channel. Fill it in if you like and click the Refresh button when done, then close the window.
- Nightbot must be a moderator for it to work on Discord.
- From the left menu, click the Filters icon to go to the Anti-Spam window.
- Click Options to the right of the Word / Phrase Blacklist filter.
- Should be enabled by default. If not, first click the Enable button.
- Enter any words and phrases that Nightbot should filter from your Discord (and Twitch) chat into the blacklist text box.
- You can also define the length of the timeout for anyone using the words you added to the list and any role that you consider exempt from punishment.
- When finished, click the Submit button.
Nightbot will now filter all blacklisted words and phrases from your Discord chat channels. Those who use profanity found on the blacklist will be punished according to your time limit.
Dyno is a fully customizable multipurpose Discord filter bot with an easy to use and intuitive web dashboard. Dynobot comes with an anti-spam / auto-moderation filter which is incredibly useful for eliminating profanity from your Discord chat.
- Sign in to the home page using your Discord account credentials.
- After clicking, you will see the familiar login dialog. Select your server and click the “Authorize” button.
- On the Server Management tab, select the server for which you want to add Dynobot and complete the process.
- On the server control panel. scroll down to the Modules section and enable Automod. Then click SETTINGS.
- Go to the Blocked Words tab and enter the words and phrases to filter. When done, click Refresh.
- The default Deny List is already configured. Add more as needed.
- Return to the Settings tab. Here you can configure how Dynobot handles any use of profanity in chat.
- This includes an automatic feature for anyone who uses one of the filtered words, enters ALL CAPITALS, creates duplicate text and massive SPAM.