19 Best AirPods Tips & Tricks For The Apple User.
Apple AirPods are more than just regular headphones. They are more than that. They are equipped with many features that make making calls and listening to music much more convenient.
To get the most out of your AirPods, you’ll need to learn a few Airpods tips and tricks. These tips will teach you how to use certain features on your AirPods and even help you uncover hidden features.
How to Know Your AirPods
If you want to check the generation of your AirPods, you can do so by finding the model number listed on your AirPods and matching it against the list of Apple model numbers.
- Take out both of your AirPods. case and find the model numbers under the capsules.
- If it’s A2084 and A2083, then you have AirPods Pro.
- If you have model numbers A2032 and A2031, you have AirPods (2nd generation).
- If the model numbers are A1523 and A1722, you have 1st generation AirPods.
It’s also easy to tell which charging case you have.
- If your charging case has model number A2190, this is the AirPods Pro wireless charging case.
- If your case model number is A1938, this is the 1st and 2nd generation AirPods Wireless Charging Case.
- Charging Case Model Number A1602 is a lightning fast charging case for AirPods 1st and 2nd generation.
What do the different lights mean on AirPods
The AirPods charging case displays various indicators. Every light matters and says something about your AirPods.
- White light: This means your AirPods are ready to pair with a device.
- Yellow light when AirPods are in case: Your AirPods are charging.
- Yellow light without AirPods in case: Less than one charge left in your case.
- Blinking amber light: There is a problem with pairing.
- Green light while AirPods are in case: Your AirPods are charged.
- Green light and AirPods not in case: Your case is charged.
How to connect AirPods to iPhone
To connect AirPods to iPhone, just press a button.
- Open the cover of the case while the AirPods are still in it.
- Bring the case to your iPhone.
- You will see a message on your iPhone. Click Connect to connect AirPods to iPhone.
How to connect AirPods to other devices
Your AirPods work with almost all Bluetooth-enabled devices. But the pairing process is different from the iPhone. Here, we’ll show you how to connect your AirPods to your Android device. You can use the same steps to connect your AirPods to other Bluetooth-enabled devices.
- Open the lid of your case, but do not remove your AirPods yet.
- Press and hold the button on the back of the case until the indicator inside the case flashes white.
- On an Android phone, go to Settings Bluetooth & Device Connections Connect New Device and tap AirPods to connect to them.
Some AirPods features you use on your iPhone won’t work on your Android and other devices. However, there are some AirPods controller apps that can be used to access Apple-exclusive features on third-party devices.
How to change AirPods controls
AirPods are equipped with double-tap gestures that allow you to do things like change music track and pause music without using your iPhone. These gestures are customizable and you can change them if you like.
- Make sure your AirPods are paired with your iPhone.
- Open the iPhone Settings app and tap Bluetooth.
- Click the i icon next to AirPods.
- Press Left in the AirPod Double-Tap section to change the left double-tap gesture.
- Select one of the actions from the list on the screen.
- Press Right and select the action for the desired AirPod.
How to change the name of AirPods
Similar to how you can change the AirDrop name on your iPhone and Mac, you can also change the AirPods name.
- Connect your AirPods to your iPhone.
- Go to Settings Bluetooth on iPhone and tap i next to AirPods.
- Tap the Name field.
- Enter a new name for your AirPods.
How to adjust the volume of AirPods
Apple AirPods don’t have a volume rocker, so you’ll need to use the volume buttons on your device to adjust the volume of your AirPods.
How to find your AirPods
Just like Apple lets you find your lost iPhone, you can find lost AirPods as well.
- Open a browser and go to the iCloud website. Sign in to your iCloud account.
- Click Find iPhone on the next screen.
- Click All Devices at the top and select your AirPods.
- iCloud will show the location of your AirPods on a map. Click Play Sound to remotely play sound on AirPods and find them.
How to check AirPods battery level
You can check the battery level of your AirPods on both iOS and Android devices.
- Open the case lid while one of your AirPods is still in it.
- Bring near the iPhone and you will see the current battery level.
- If you have Android, follow the steps above after installing the AirBattery app on your phone.
How to charge your AirPods
Charging your AirPods is easy and you don’t need to connect them to anything with a cable.
- Place the AirPods in the charging case.
- Your case will start charging your AirPods.
How to charge your AirPods case
The charging case contains a significant amount of battery, but you need to charge it every two or three days, depending on your use.
- If you have a wireless charging case, place it on your Qi-certified wireless charger and it will start charging.
- If you have a lightning charging case, connect one end of the cable to the case and the other end to a charger or USB port on your computer.
How to Check Your AirPods Software Version
Your AirPods have a specific firmware version that you can check on your iPhone.
- Go to Settings General About on your iPhone and tap AirPods.
- The AirPods firmware version will be listed next to the firmware version.
Use automatic ear detection
Your AirPods have a feature that directs audio from your iPhone to devices as soon as you put them in your ears. You need to enable this feature before using it.
- Go to Settings Bluetooth and click the i icon next to your AirPods.
- Turn on Auto Ear Detection.
How to change the active Microphone of your AirPods
Both of your AirPods come with a microphone, and you can manually select which AirPod microphone you want to use.
- Launch Settings, tap Bluetooth and tap the i icon next to your AirPods.
- Tap the microphone at the bottom.
- Select one of the options available on the screen.
How to accept an incoming call using your AirPods
If you receive a call while using AirPods, you can answer the call by simply tapping on the AirPods.
- If you have AirPods Pro, press the force sensor to receive an incoming call.
- If you have 1st or 2nd generation AirPods, double-tap any of your AirPods.
- You can use the same gestures to end a call.
Get AirPods to announce caller names
Your AirPods can tell you who’s calling if you’ve turned on Caller Alerts on your iPhone.
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone and tap Phone.
- On the next screen, click Announce Calls.
- Select the Always option.
Use AirPods to hear the sounds around you
You can hear live sounds around your iPhone using your AirPods.
- Go to Settings on your iPhone and click Control Center.
- Select the Customize Controls option.
- Click on the + (plus) sign to hear.
- Pull the bottom of the iPhone to open the Control Center.
- Click on the hearing icon.
- Click on the Live Listen option.
Use One Case to Extend AirPods Battery Life
It is not necessary to use both modules at the same time. You can simply use one of the AirPods while the other is charging. This way, when you run out of battery on one module, you can use the other while the first is charging.
How to unpair the Apple AirPods from your iPhone
If you no longer want to use your AirPods with your iPhone, you can unpair and remove them from your phone.
- Open the Settings app and tap Bluetooth.
- Tap the i icon next to your AirPods.
- Click Forget This Device to unpair your AirPods.
Do you know of any Apple AirPods tips and tricks we missed out on this list? If so, let us know about these tips in the comments below.