The Amazon Fire Stick is packed with features and there are many third-party apps you can install to expand its capabilities. Sometimes, you may find that your Fire Stick is not working. You may see a blank screen, problems with streaming content, or a remote control to control features.
Regardless of the problem, there are several ways to fix it when your Amazon Fire Stick isn’t working.
Restart Fire Stick
One very effective way to fix a lot of Fire Stick problems is to reboot your flash drive. This will clear the temporary files stored in its storage and help you start over.
- From the Home screen, select the Settings option at the top.
- Scroll right and select the option labeled My Fire TV.
- Scroll down and select the Restart option.
- Select Restart at the prompt that appears on the screen. Your Fire Stick will reboot.
Fixed screen mirroring issues on Fire Stick
If you’re having trouble displaying your devices’ screen on the Fire Stick, you should make sure your devices are compatible with this feature. The Fire Stick does not support the following screen mirroring devices.
- iOS devices, including iPhone and iPad.
- All Mac computers.
You can use an Android device, but it must be running Android 4.2 or later. Earlier versions are not supported.
You should also make sure your Fire Stick supports screen mirroring:
- Press and hold the Home button on the remote control.
- If you see the Mirror option, it means the Fire Stick supports mirroring your devices to a USB flash drive.
Fix the blank screen issue with Fire Stick
If you turn on the Fire Stick and it only shows a blank screen, it could be the result of an unreliable or broken cable connection.
- Make sure you are using the supplied cables. Fire Stick.
- Make sure the HDMI cable is properly connected to your TV / screen.
- Replace HDMI cable if not in good condition.
- Restart your computer. Light the stick several times.
Fix buffering issues on Fire Stick
Buffering is a common problem you encounter when streaming online content. One way to fix this is to turn off the data monitoring feature on the Fire Stick.
- Select “Settings” from the main Fire Stick screen.
- Scroll right and select the Settings option.
- Select the Data Monitor option.
- Select the Data Monitor option.
- This option should now be disabled.
Fix app crashes on Fire Stick
If one or more apps crash too often on the Fire Stick, you can fix it by clearing the cache and data files for those apps. In some cases, you can reinstall apps to fix their problems.
- Click the Settings option on the home screen.
- Select “Applications” on the next screen.
- Select Manage Installed Applications to view your applications.
- Select the application you are having problems with and click it.
- Scroll down and select the Clear Cache option.
- Also select the Clear Data option.
- Start the application and if it still causes problems, select Uninstall to uninstall the application.
- Reload the app on the Fire Stick from the Amazon Appstore.
Stop The Fire Stick from reading your screen
If your Fire Stick is reading aloud all the content on your screen, this is not a problem, but a feature that the stick has. You can turn off this feature to get rid of this annoyance.
- Access the Settings option from the main screen.
- Scroll right and select the Accessibility option.
- Select the VoiceView option.
- Disable the VoiceView option.
Fix Internet issues on Fire Stick
If you have problems connecting to the Internet on the Fire Stick, first make sure your Internet connection is up and running. Then reboot your modem and plug the Fire Stick back into it.
You can forget about it and reconnect to your Wi-Fi network as follows.
- Open the settings menu from the home screen.
- On the next screen, select Network.
- Select your Wi-Fi network and press the hamburger button on the Fire Stick remote.
- Reconnect to your Wi-Fi network.
Fix Fire Stick issues remotely
Problems with Amazon Fire Stick not working are common and there are easy ways to fix these problems. More often than not, your remote does not have active and working batteries, and for this reason it does not work with your stick.
You can confirm this as follows.
- Open the settings screen on the Fire Stick.
- Select Remote Controls and Bluetooth Device Option.
- Select the Amazon Fire TV Remote option.
- Select a remote in the list and see what’s in the Battery parameter. If it says “Dead” then your batteries are dead and you need to replace them.
- Alternatively, you can use the Fire Stick app to control the Fire Stick from your smartphones.
Fire Stick Update
Just like your computers and smartphones, your Amazon Fire Stick receives software updates to fix bugs and improve your experience. If you haven’t updated your flash drive for a long time, it’s time to do it to fix the problems.
- Open the Settings menu on the Fire Stick.
- Select the My Fire TV option.
- Click “About” on the next screen.
- Select Install Update if an update is available for installation.
Reset Amazon Fire Stick
If the problems persist, the last thing you can do is reset the Fire Stick to factory settings. This will reset all settings, applications, and preferences on your flash drive.
- Open the settings menu on the flash drive.
- Scroll right and select My Fire TV.
- Scroll down and click the “Restore Factory Defaults” button.
- You will receive a message asking if you want to reset your flash drive. Click “Reset” to continue.
Your Fire Stick will then require you to re-link your Amazon account to it.
What is your preferred way of viewing online content? Are you using a device like the Amazon Fire Stick to access online content? Let us know in the comments below.